afdfirefighter

What type of finish is this?

Would anyone be able to help me identify what this finish is and how I could accomplish it with veg tan leather? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

The dark colour on the edges looks airbrushed

Agree with Chain that this looks airbrushed but a similar effect can be done by hand. Search for "How to dye a leather wallet (Gradient or Patina)" by GÓC ĐỒ DA on youtube. In the introduction there is a list of the dye and strengths used. I've done this but can't find photos of the project I used this technique on right now.

Thank you. I will look it up. Hoping it’s not too difficult to do for a beginner. 

You should be fine if you take your time and practice on pieces of scrap first. That is how I learned to do it (as a beginner). :)

Edited by VYO

Is this a mahogany dye do you think? Theres a look I'm going to, and I think this is closest I've found so far. Darker browns with a rich red undertone, almost as if there was a lit ember behind the brown. Tried putting that into google, went about as well as you would think. ;)

It kind of looks like mahogany but it seems to have a bit more yellow to it. The attached photos are of the exact same holster and was done with Fiebing's Mahogany (not thinned). Really hard to tell though. Lighting when photographing can make a huge difference in what color something looks. One photo was taken outside (the redder looking one) and one was taken in a photo box. The true color when looking at it in person is somewhere in between those two colors but closer to the darker one than the lighter one.

mahogany holster.jpg

mahogany holster1.jpg

Yep , thats airbrushed, and looks lovely :) 

I took me a while to figure out how that was achieved after seeing some holsters, rifle cases etc on display with a similar effect  in a leather shop in Perth , WA one day. 

Then ' the penny dropped '  and then invested in an air brush. It does take a bit of setting up ( for me anyway) , but  the end results are very effective. 

I also learned to put a sealer through a ( different) spray gun on a light setting , giving it its nice sheen.  

@VYO I have a colour like that  called ' dark tan' or Ox blood. 

HS 

@Handstitched What brand is the dark tan? I want to order some of that.

G'Day, VYO ,

I've been trading with this company since I started leather work , over 14 years ago. 

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/DYE1Lw/Birdsall-Leather-dye-1Ltr/pd.php

Theres only a slight  difference  between ' Dark Tan & Ox Blood ' , Ox blood being slightly darker. 

HS 

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, VYO ,

I've been trading with this company since I started leather work , over 14 years ago. 

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/DYE1Lw/Birdsall-Leather-dye-1Ltr/pd.php

Theres only a slight  difference  between ' Dark Tan & Ox Blood ' , Ox blood being slightly darker. 

HS 

Thank you! Apparently they are out of stock on both colors. In addition I saw their Whiskey color which I think I'd like but they are also out of stock on that. I've bookmarked their store and will check back periodically to see when it comes back in stock.

Air brushing seems like it would have the best effect 

Just a GUESS, I'm gonna say that's dark brown with black at the edges.  Applied heavy enough, the chocolate brown looks almost black .. and camera variations....

Simple project, though... take longer to get the stuff out and clean up after ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVHrTPf1AQ