Sign in to follow this  
Suze

Introduction

Good Evening all

I have been hearing about this here list from my cousin (your friendly - The Leather Lady)

I don't really do leather so I will probably be just drooling all over the keyboard at all of your wonderfull things.

Suze

Welcome Suze,

Be careful looking around here, you will most likely catch the leather bug, and before long, you'll be posting pics of your first project.

Ken

Hey, Susie! Glad to see you! Now folks, I know most of you are aware of my utter lack of artistic and creative talent. That's because my cousin here got it all. She is also an active SCA member. If the leather bug does bite, Susie, you know you are always welcome in my shop. She taught me the golden rule..."there is no such thing as scraps, just stuff we haven't used yet." Welcome, Cuz!

Johanna

Welcome Home.

Don't let Johanna fool you -- She has a fair bit of "the family talent" too

That is - Whatever "craft" you decide to put your hand to. WILL COME OUT looking decent (and decent enough to sell too)

Right now I have been getting involved with the Japanese art of KumiHimo (braiding on a stand) While I am working with cording right now ..... I bet you could do it with leather laces......Hmmm

I think I have a bunch of leather laceing in "THE STASH" (that is the trademark term for the craft store in the basement, BTW) :whistle:

>wandering off with a new project spinning in my head<

Be back later

Suze

Suze,

I just did a Google on KumiHimo, and found some very beautiful ropes I quess you would call them. Whats the chances you could post some pics of your work? I would think that KumiHimo, could be incorporated into a lot of the leatherwork that is shown here on the forum.

Ken

Ken - I only have made one braid that I am willing to show anyone yet.

But it is about 15 feet long. (It will be necklace cords for the officer badges for my SCA group) I'm told that it is much easier to make short cords out of one big long one, than to try to make each necklace length seperate. (we'll see)

And IF I ever get my behind in gear and LEARN how to post the pics I've taken.........

There are a lot of good pics of stuff at the Yahoo groups Kumi2

From people with a lot more practice than me.

Sue

Oh and most people just call them a "braid"

Suze,

Underneath the portion where you type your message is an "add this attachment" and a browse button. Once you've located the pic, then click "add this attachment" If you want it to appar in a particular part of the post, click "add into post" after putting your cursor in the desired position.

Please please post some of your family's miniature work. I know everyone here would love to see it, even if it isn't "leather" talk. The folks here would appreciate all the thought that went into the details, trust me. If you don't want to take the pics, let me come over and take some, okay? Don't be shy, no one here bites. (you have to go to the adult area for that!)

Post pics! It's easy! (hint hint)

Johanna

First I have to get them from the camera to the computer, kid

(I can call her that - I'm older - and got to babysit her, many many moons ago)

So get your butt over here and have at it.......

Welcome.

Don't be shy, no one here bites

.....i do

welcome aboard...i hope you didn't inherit too much of the "crazy nut job"...er um i mean "eccentric artist" stuff that johanna got :P

Where do you think SHE got it from?.......

Taught her everything I know. >giggle<

Since we are only a few years apart in age, we sort of grew up together, and since the rotten kid was allergic to OUTSIDE. We did a lot of stuff inside during the summer.

She taught me to play chess when she was 7 (I think, It was a long time ago) and I taught her how to get rid of her dad when he had to play the game for us........

Do you know that you can move the knight all the way across the board if you jump a piece each move? (We drove him nuts - he left us alone - we went back to playing chess "right" )

Oh and Beverslayer---

I already have a "first leather project" -- a pair of "mary jane" shoes

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

For my dollhouse - they are less than a half inch long.

But they are leather!

did them about 20 years ago.

This is the 8 strand braid. Suze says it's about 15 feet long so far.

plait__Medium_.jpg

I'm going to post pics of her miniatures in off topic. I did get over there today, with my camera. Now she needs to get the rest of the stuff out on display so I can take more pics!

Johanna

post-5-1187412637_thumb.jpg

Suze,

As beaverslayer said, beware just hanging out you'll catch the leather bug. I've been around for about a month here and was just admiring and asking questions about the art. Well low and behold I just posted my first piece. I look forward to seeing some of your work, BTW the 15' necklace looks wonderful I'd be interested to know if it was easier to make the entire length then cut it to individual sizes.

I have yet to find the "right" bead cap ends for the silly thing. But if you look up KumiHimo and see a pic of the brading stands - yes it is easier to make a "looong" cord then making necklace lengths.

you lose about 6 inches of string on each end of the cord, so I would have had to use lots more material to get the same amount of cording.

That cord will become officer badge holders for my SCA group. and I used rayon DMC embrodiry floss ( the "real" kumi uses silk- when I get better at it - I will too, that stuff is expensive!)

To cut this to length you put a "wrap knot" (macreme term - I think you call it that in leatherworking too) where you want to cut, soak it in superglue (not sure about this, I think it might make the rayon brittle, or eat it. must try it on scrap first.) let it dry and cut the wrap knot in the center and put it in the jewlery findings of choice.

I might use two wrap knots close together and cut between them and use a bit of fray check or good ol Elmers instead.

But before I can really get started on craft projects again I HAVE to find the space to do them.

I am cleaning out the house of "way too much stuff" and it is slow going. (clean sweep team would faint if they saw the basement "craft storage")

You want it - I got it - at Ashgrove's Amazing Anomilties

But before I can really get started on craft projects again I HAVE to find the space to do them.

I am cleaning out the house of "way too much stuff" and it is slow going. (clean sweep team would faint if they saw the basement "craft storage")

You want it - I got it - at Ashgrove's Amazing Anomilties

chuckle. So you suffer from the standard Scadian syndrome of severe packratitis ?

(Barony of Carillion here)