Withcraftz

Hello from newbie

Hello and welcome.  Not to dissuade you any but might I suggest though that before you take on ANY projects that you learn how to work with leather, practice to refine some skills, and then start with the making of smaller items so that you can gain some experience?  I say this because this craft is not as simple as it may seem by watching some YouTube video or reading some FREE PDF on how to work with leather, it is a true skilled trade and is one that takes many hours to even understand before you get to technique and other things; I have been working with leather for over 40 years yet there are still things that can be learned and these new things require time, patience, and practice before I can move on to the next new thing.  Slowing down and actually learning how to properly work the leather and create the things that you want to make will turn you into a better craftsman who will be able to provide quality finished items to those whom you make them for; there is no "fast track" here with leather and the most important thing to have when entering this trade is a passion for it because you don't make millions with the end product. 

Again, welcome and hope that you will step back from any projects until you have some knowledge, practice, and time under your belt so that you can be a much more successful craftsman.  You have come to the right place to learn all of this but it will only help you if you are serious about your intentions and truly want to learn how to be a good craftsman and maker of the finer things in life; we are here for you if you need us.

I would agree with  @NVLeatherWorx that it would be best to get some practice in before you take on larger projects. It doesn't take much to accidentally screw up and leather is not cheap. we all want to just jump right into the larger projects, but starting with simple things even small bracelets lets you get a little acquainted with leather, how it works, how it feels, bends and so on. It is great that you are excited to get into this awesome hobby, and in many cases life changing habit.

But you have the right idea, ask questions, look for what you want to know in the forums before you ask though, there is a 90% chance that someone has been right where you are in need of help. and if not, then there are lots of experienced leather workers here that can probably help you out, myself if I can.

and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome! I completely understand that doing is the best teacher, I'm not into this for profit, just for fun so I expect to learn a lot while doing this first project.

I've looked at what some people here have made and it's truly impressive!

Welcome, I am fairly new to this site also and am finding it a wealth of information, problem is I am having a hard time to get off it because there is so much great stuff :huh:.

Where are you from and what is your first big project going to be?

Hi, I'm in Vancouver BC, my first project will be this:

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to best make the chest mold.

1680717637ed36b3e82472a9748d1055.jpg

Edited by Withcraftz

1 minute ago, Withcraftz said:

I'm n Vancouver BC, my first project will be this:

1680717637ed36b3e82472a9748d1055.jpg

Wow.... best of luck :)