charlesfalzon

Things can get worse

Hello

Things are going from bad to worse with my singer 45k i just cant seem to get a break i dont know what happened i was setting the tension up to get a better stich but things went horrible wrong can this be fixed or should i just give up

52312473_2226905100910877_419228059795718144_n (1).jpg

51716749_2053423324955723_2529873713168384000_n (1).jpg

52708363_393757071169317_8454440154906492928_n (1).jpg

52537806_834153716942791_3884051934952292352_n (1).jpg

Edited by charlesfalzon

Well crap, I thought 45s were about bulletproof. Any idea what happened?

There's a lot of threads on here about fixing cast iron. Old school method is to braze with a gas torch. More modern is a decent epoxy. Each has its advantages but better is guaranteed.

Did it cost you much? Worst case you could probably part it out for enough money to buy another machine -- 45k parts are quite sought after 

3 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Well crap, I thought 45s were about bulletproof. Any idea what happened?

There's a lot of threads on here about fixing cast iron. Old school method is to braze with a gas torch. More modern is a decent epoxy. Each has its advantages but better is guaranteed.

Did it cost you much? Worst case you could probably part it out for enough money to buy another machine -- 45k parts are quite sought after 

Well no it didnt cost that much but its rare in my country for me anyway

Well what happend is i gave it abit to much gas 

Just now, charlesfalzon said:

Well no it didnt cost that much but its rare in my country for me anyway

Did you crank down on the bolt too hard?

9 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Did you crank down on the bolt too hard?

I think so as there was already 1 piece broke half so it was holding on 1 half

2 hours ago, charlesfalzon said:

Charles- Given the machines' age and what it has probably been through...  there had to already be a crack or a fracture line in place for that grey cast iron to split- perhaps a fall or it was hit at some time in its past- the vibration and fatigue finally caught up with it. The cool thing is its only fractured once in each leg- not in a lot of pieces.

If you were closer I would say bring it over and we would do the fix at my shop- That machine is worth fixing in my book.

2 hours ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

Charles- Given the machines' age and what it has probably been through...  there had to already be a crack or a fracture line in place for that grey cast iron to split- perhaps a fall or it was hit at some time in its past- the vibration and fatigue finally caught up with it. The cool thing is its only fractured once in each leg- not in a lot of pieces.

If you were closer I would say bring it over and we would do the fix at my shop- That machine is worth fixing in my book.

Well one of the cracks was already there it was holding on 1 half only

Definitely worth fixing IMHO. Especially if you don't have a lot of money in it.

You might be able to find that piece somewhere to purchase, and get it posted. It does not look overly heavy, so postage should be reasonable.

Worst case scenario, take both bits to a foundry and have them cast a new piece, then an engineering workshop to machine the surfaces that need to be close to tolerance.