Michael7073

How do I treat flesh side of leather belt?

Hello,

Can you please share best practices for treating the flesh side of belts? I'e been leaving them untouched but wanted to try other methods. Do I dye the backs, use gum tragacanth, tan kote?  I appreciate any help.

Thank you

I don’t like using dyes on backs but I do like Tandy’s waterstain.  It’s no bleed and I don’t get any rub off with it.  

I like tokonole and a glass slicker. Works really well. 

Tokonole is offered in colors too if you want to tint the backside.

G'Day, 

I always dye the backs on every belt I make, they look unfinished otherwise.   I also  use the same sealer  I use on the top. I have never had any issues whatsoever . However, , I don't put any oils , dressings etc. on the back ( only on the top)  as this may cause any residue to come out onto clothing.  My dyes are water based, with a little bit of spirit added to aid drying.  In my  very early days I tried Raven Oil dyes, I had no end of trouble  with residue coming out, no matter how many coats of sealer I used.  Thats when I discovered water based dyes, no trouble ever since. 

HS 

After the belt is done, . . . as far as the "making" is concerned, . . . a light coat of neatsfoot oil to the hair side of the leather.

Let it dry 24 to 36 hours.

Dip dye, . . . lay on top edge in a circular pattern for 10 minutes, . . . flip to bottom edge and allow the dye to dry.  Driying time 24 to 36 hours as well.

Burnish all leather edges.

Really good rub down picking up all the left over pigment that did not go into the leather.

One to three coats of resolene (cut 50/50 with water)

Put on the buckle and send to the customer.

NEVER have had a complaint on the construction, finish, or the wearing of my belts.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight