blue62

Pony Traces and breeching

I'm looking for finished length of Traces and breeching for a farm style pony harness.

Thanks in advance,

John

Traces always depend on the length of the pole.  Breeching measurement depends on the size of pony, but I know off the top of my head that a Shetland size breeching is normally 34".  I can measure the length of the tugs when I go back out to the shop shortly.

Traces always depend on the length of the pole.  Breeching measurement depends on the size of pony, but I know off the top of my head that a Shetland size breeching is normally 34".  I can measure the length of the tugs when I go back out to the shop shortly.

Ok, the tugs on a used farm style pony team harness measure 62" from hame bolt to fold at the heel chain. The heel chains on that harness only consist of 4 small links.  That measurement is consistent with what I have in my files as a finished measurement for Shetland ponies.  I have 5'3" (63") as a measurement for a large pony team harness, but with a clip on the front and a regular 6 link heel chain.  Some other measurement charts that I have aquired from long gone makers list a pony tug as being 5½' long.  Still, it depends on the measurement between evener pin and neck yoke stop, no matter the size of the team.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Big Sioux, thank you for the reply, that's the information I was looking for.

My little guy got a pony last week and he wants a harness for it, and in all the information I have there's dimensions for everything but a pony farm harness.

Thanks again,

John

You're welcome.  I know measurements and specs for harness can be difficult to come by unless you have access to an existing "like" product.  Published info can't be counted on as being 100% accurate, and there are always construction, design and regional variations to account for, not to mention that there is an as much difference between ponies measuring the same height as there is between horses of entirely different breeds. Two separate harnesses, both intended for let's say 44" ponies, can yield two entirely different sets of measurements.  That's the reason that I measured nearly every harness that came through the shop in my early years in business, and still do today if i get one that's a little different or for a size/type I don't already have.

Best of luck to you!