hey guys I keep reading that the fiebings pro dye are the best (I'm making leather goods that will be outdoors in the weather constatly). However I can't get pro dye in California. what's a good alternative?

On 5/9/2019 at 11:36 AM, Treesner said:

hey guys I keep reading that the fiebings pro dye are the best (I'm making leather goods that will be outdoors in the weather constatly). However I can't get pro dye in California. what's a good alternative?

1. Move to another state

2. Travel out of state to purchase

Tom

Maybe have a family member or friend that lives out of state buy it and send it to you.  Of course, I suspect if it's outlawed in CA, it's illegal for them to send it to you as well.

2 hours ago, GregS said:

Maybe have a family member or friend that lives out of state buy it and send it to you.  Of course, I suspect if it's outlawed in CA, it's illegal for them to send it to you as well.

... but DO NOT have plastic straws sent to you!
;)

Move to a friendly state or you might have to travel to another state. 

On 5/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, Treesner said:

buy pre-dyed leather?

try making your own dye?

I only use Feibing's Acrylic dye as I cannot import the Pro-dye either. I just get on with the acrylic dye. And I've used some of Tandy's Eco-dye as well. ~Used proper its ok.

Edited by fredk

You will have to use regular Fiebing's Leather Dye, I guess.  One advantage over the Pro dye is a wider selection of colors.

Try searching for UV clear coat.  There might be something out there.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:53 AM, wizard of tragacanth said:

You will have to use regular Fiebing's Leather Dye,

It's the solvent that is used in spirit based dyes that is the problem in California.  Whether it is regular or Pro dye, same problem.

Tom

Pro dye is available in California, just not for retail or consumers. Find a trade supplier or a shoe findings supplier.

We have several in Los Angeles, I use Saderma.

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

It's the solvent that is used in spirit based dyes that is the problem in California.  Whether it is regular or Pro dye, same problem.

Tom

Doh... Thanks Tom! 

Perhaps Kalifornia can set up a sanctuary city that can sell pro dyes.

You can get Angelus brand alcohol dyes in CA, call the company in Santa Fe Springs, CA. 562-325-8096 Tandy for some reason doesn't carry them in CA so people get the mistaken idea they are not available in CA, but they are made there and for sale.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, MountainFisher said:

You can get Angelus brand alcohol dyes in CA, call the company in Santa Fe Springs, CA. 562-325-8096 Tandy for some reason doesn't carry them in CA so people get the mistaken idea they are not available in CA, but they are made there and for sale.

Fiebings threatened to pull all of their products from California Tandy stores if they started selling the Angelus dyes since that is their direct competitor. 

On 4/10/2023 at 7:40 PM, BobanaPirate said:

Fiebings threatened to pull all of their products from California Tandy stores if they started selling the Angelus dyes since that is their direct competitor. 

I'm seeing less and less Fiebings on Tandy shelves every time I make the trip to the nearest store.

They seem to phasing it out Fiebings products favor of the Tandy Eco equivalent.