Joshstrange

sewing machine choices

So I have been looking at the cobra class 3/4 and the cb3200 for a sewing machine and my question is do they like to sew the minimum of 6oz.  I rarely do anything more than 7-8 oz in my wallets and lined belts and slings are 10-12oz.  the thickest i've sewn so far is a about 5/16-1/2in thick in a knife sheath its not something I build alot of. I'm worried that the machine won't sew in its sweet spot.  What do you folks think, is a class 3/4 to big for what I do.  If so what machine do you guys recommend.  I can only afford 1 machine right now and I know that I will be needing more than one, just looking for a machine that can do the bulk of my work currently.  Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure they'll be around shortly. I just went through the process of purchasing a sewing machine and was looking for the 'one size fits all' solution which is like finding a unicorn in a pasture of spaghetti bushes. I was duly thrashed...well...not really...but I could see it on their virtual brows, that feeling of "oh no...not another one". lol  Anyway, I've found that something like a Consew 1206RB (Juki 441 clone), a flat bed machine, will sew up to 3/8" leather and likes the lighter stuff. I'll be purchasing this, or one like this in the next few days. I've already purchased a Cowboy CB3200 for heavier applications.  From the sounds of it, for what you do, you'd be better off with something like the Consew or similar, and maybe, since you don't do a lot of heavy stuff, go to hand stitching for that.

57 minutes ago, TonyRV2 said:

I'm no expert, but I'm sure they'll be around shortly. I just went through the process of purchasing a sewing machine and was looking for the 'one size fits all' solution which is like finding a unicorn in a pasture of spaghetti bushes. I was duly thrashed...well...not really...but I could see it on their virtual brows, that feeling of "oh no...not another one". lol  Anyway, I've found that something like a Consew 1206RB (Juki 441 clone), a flat bed machine, will sew up to 3/8" leather and likes the lighter stuff. I'll be purchasing this, or one like this in the next few days. I've already purchased a Cowboy CB3200 for heavier applications.  From the sounds of it, for what you do, you'd be better off with something like the Consew or similar, and maybe, since you don't do a lot of heavy stuff, go to hand stitching for that.

Thanks Tony i'm thinking that a sewing machine will sew best in the middle of the extremes and that a consew will be better suited I measured my wallets and knife sheaths that I made for shows and there under 3/8 there about 5/16.  I have already tried and gave up looking for the unicorn they just arn't out there so i'm just looking for the machine that will do the bulk of my work and a big harness stitcher isn't it i'm thinking.

I have a Cowboy CB4500 and previously sewed on a Cobra Class 4. These 441 clones (Juki TSC-441) are built super heavy duty to withstand the pounding and heavy load of thick thread and big needles in thick stacks of hard leather. to do this they use a very long needle. So, it should be no surprise that they aren't as effective with thin thread and thin needles. However, if you are willing to take the time to dumb down the machine, you can sew thin leather, with thin thread and thin needles. You can read how to do this on my leatherworks blog.

If dumbing down a big harness stitcher doesn't appeal to you, check out the Cowboy CB341 or Cobra 26, or a Techsew 3650HD. All three brands are advertisers here and support our forum.

Josh...I just wanted to point out that I'd mistakenly called the Consew a 441 clone...no...its the Cowboy, among a lot of others, that are copies of that machine.

I'd look at the CB341 for what you're doing.  I had originally looked at that but since my singer would do the lower end of what I wanted - going with the 3200 will allow me a wider range.

7 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have a Cowboy CB4500 and previously sewed on a Cobra Class 4. These 441 clones (Juki TSC-441) are built super heavy duty to withstand the pounding and heavy load of thick thread and big needles in thick stacks of hard leather. to do this they use a very long needle. So, it should be no surprise that they aren't as effective with thin thread and thin needles. However, if you are willing to take the time to dumb down the machine, you can sew thin leather, with thin thread and thin needles. You can read how to do this on my leatherworks blog.

If dumbing down a big harness stitcher doesn't appeal to you, check out the Cowboy CB341 or Cobra 26, or a Techsew 3650HD. All three brands are advertisers here and support our forum.

Wiz would you recommend the consew 1206RB for doing lined belts/ slings/straps of that type.  I'm not to concerned about wallet interiors hand sewing those is not a problem there pretty quick but the interior to the back is what i would like the machine for.

Edited by Joshstrange

3 hours ago, Joshstrange said:

Wiz would you recommend the consew 1206RB for doing lined belts/ slings/straps of that type.  I'm not to concerned about wallet interiors hand sewing those is not a problem there pretty quick but the interior to the back is what i would like the machine for.

Yes, it is fully capable of sewing slings, straps, belts, pouches, garments, vests, etc. It won't be any good for holsters though. Seeing as how this model lacks a safety clutch, always hold back the starting threads to prevent thread jams in the hook.