Starwind0

Overwhelmed by leather Sewing machines

On 8/23/2019 at 6:25 PM, Wizcrafts said:

The way I see it, Starwind0 has the following choices/options regarding buying a suitable sewing machine:

1. Take time off work and travel to a reputable industrial  sewing machine dealer and come home with a machine that does what you need.
  2. Do research about the best machines for your situation that you can afford, then contact dealers and order a machine from a dealer, paying $70+ more for residential delivery (or the lower commercial rate delivered to a commercial building with a loading dock).
  3. Watch local for-sale ads until a used walking foot machine shows up. Ads may be on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. Use the machine for jobs within its capabilities and hand sew the rest.
  4. Buy an old iron body Singer domestic sewing machine for thin and soft leather, using a roller or Teflon foot. Expect no more than #69 bonded thread into about 1/8 to 3/6" of soft density leather, maximum. Hand sew the heavier stuff.
  5. Continue to hand sew everything.

Yeah that's more or less the plan. But they are few and far between in the months long search. That said if anyone's going to get my money today it's the guy in Waco at maker leather supply. As you guessed I actually got ignored / still awaiting replies from many of the stores asking if they were open on a major shopping Holliday. Sorry it's 10-15 an hour to hire someone to sell 2k+ machines. I reserve the right to be frustrated and made to seem to be a bother to these shops. So I'll vote with my money. I like the Waco guy. He said he would open the shop just for me as he is near by. I like that but of course I'll come a other week as he's open Saturdays. Very different attitude. 

I think you all are spot on. It's about buying from someone you trust in person and offers good customer service. If I have to bend over backwards, deal with owners too busy to help me with such a massive purchase, I should go with the one that offered some level of accommodation. I mean if I'm having issues just buying, with cash in hand and a willingness to dive 6 hours and get a hotel.. why should I think they will offer better service when things break? We are talking about a machine that costs more than my mortgage. So Waco is the top contender but I didn't really want a cobra. But I'll check it out. I'll expand my search to Huston and forget about all Dallas stores. At which point I'll just buy a tech sew if I don't like my options. (saw that one in person, but the guy wanted 2k and couldn't keep his story straight. Machine was solid)

Edited by Starwind0

Starwind0

At some point if you are interested in advancing your level of participation in leather craft you need to commit to something and take action.  These machines are not that costly and can be re-sold if you find it to be not exactly what you want.   Certainly you and your efforts are worth the investment.  In addition; no matter what machine you buy, you will go through a learning curve that will give you valuable insight that can only be gotten by experience in front of a machine.     I like the idea of bringing an antique on-line but if you are more interested in actually making things than you are in fixing things, an entry level new or near new machine is the direction I would recommend based on my past two years of starting from nothing and doing it both ways. 

Best of luck!

Silverd

On 8/1/2019 at 11:33 AM, SolarLeatherMachines said:

I AM Solar Leather Machines.  I'm 47 yo, and I work from 7 am to about 6:30 pm Monday through Friday.  I NEED SLEEP.  And to spend time with my Wife and Family.  And so do my employees.  So, Yah, we're closed on weekends.  

Good for you.  There is more to life than money and work.

So, I spent the last 20 minutes or so reading this thread. Observations:

> I ALWAYS learn from others here! No matter how often a topic comes up. Thank you.

> extreme patience shown by all,  answering questions with detailed answers. (I have a Cowboy 3200- LOVE IT! Still get to hand sew more than I want to. As many have said: there is no machine that will do everything)

> LISTEN and LEARN from Wiz. 

> ^^^^^ LISTEN TO WIZ! ^^^^^

Older thread- wonder what the decision was or is??