ellext

Resolene turning dye green... can't figure out if this is a product problem or a leather problem

Materials used:

Fiebing's Resolene

Fiebing's dark brown leather dye

Acetone in the form of nail polish remover

Mink oil

Basically the problem I have comes from every time I need to apply resolene to my project; they keep turning yellow. They started off as white, lambskin loafers. I used acetone to deglaze, and after used a wool dauber to apply the dye. I let it sit overnight for 10+ hours, buffed it with mink oil to remove any sitting dye, and then proceeded to apply resolene as lightly as possible with a clean wool dauber. At first, it went on like it always does when applying it to a project. It would turn a bit yellow, but it never affected the underlying dye. Then after maybe 5 or so seconds, the dye underneath started turning a sick yellow/green color. This process has been repeated with the same results maybe 5+ times. I understand that airbrushing would give a better result, but even putting a drop of resolene on top of the shoe seems to pull out the dye and turn it yellow. So even if I avoid any "rubbing" motion on the leather, the resolene still reacts poorly. At one point I applied two coats of dye, and let sit for 24 hours. Still bad results.

Is this a leather problem or a product problem? I have since purchased Angelus sealant and will try that today, but I don't want to keep trying if the leather requires a different type of dye. Right now the dyes I am using are alcohol-based. Would labskin take oil based better? 

I will try to take some pictures later today when I get home. 

Edit: I added an example of a picture I had taken already of the resolene applied to a small part of the shoe

IMG_0581.jpg

Edited by ellext
Added pictures

I have no idea what might be causing your problem, but as a 1st thought, I would try to cancel out any chance of the shoe leather causing the problem.

Have you tried the process you are using, on a new piece of clean veg tanned leather? If there is a reaction on that surface, then you (probably) have a reaction between the coatings. If there's no adverse reaction, then it's coming from the shoe leather.

First off, get rid of the nail polish remover and get real acetone. Usually nail polish remover has added chemicals and/or is weaker than just acetone.

Get rid of Acetone all together as it is NOT intended to be used on leather.

If your leather is one of the Chrome tanned varieties then you are already on the wrong track of trying to dye it any other color than what it was tanned as and you WILL have issues with trying to change the color using traditional leather crafting techniques.

NEVER use Resolene (or any other water-based acrylic) on footwear, it isn't intended to be used in this manner and it offers nothing as far as protection in this case.

It appears that these loafers are commercially produced and not handmade by you which means that you are fighting whatever the maker/manufacturer used to make these things and unless you have complete knowledge of what was used and how they were made along with many years of learning and experience working with leather you are just going to make things worse than they already are.

No intention of trying to drive you away but you just can't pick up a few books, watch a couple of video's, buy a few supplies, and change the work of someone else.  Those of us who offer our advice oftentimes have spent many, many years learning out trade and we don't speak from the "hobbiest" or DIY side of things, we speak from experience that we have gained over the years of doing this as a profession.  There are just as many manufacturers who have no clue what they are doing but they make their millions anyway and all by selling to the uninformed and inexperienced consumer.

Being as the loafers are of a commercial production I can guarantee that they are in fact Chrome tanned lambskin that has been treated with a range of additional chemicals that creating your issue.  Unfortunately, there is no turning back from what has been done now and the best thing that you could do would be to dye them again in hopes that you can get the blotched areas blended in with the rest and then just finish with an oil (Mink Oil is not as great as it is advertised to be); pigfat is the best conditioner for leather footwear and it offers much better weatherproofing results (many years of experience using this method while stationed in the Alpine region of Southern Germany with the U.S. Army, never had wet feet while doing this).

6 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

NEVER use Resolene (or any other water-based acrylic) on footwear

Dammit, should have known before doing this:

Marius-cleats-10.jpg

Edited by robs456