Sign in to follow this  
twotrees

'Reliable' brand sewing machines, any experiences?

Hey folks,

So a while ago I posted asking about a few different machines up for sale near me.  I didn't end up going with any of them as one commenter pointed out that a) a new machine is always a better investment if you're planning on turning a profit with your works and b) if you only plan to buy one sewing machine for a while then a cylinder arm is the better choice. 

I appreciate the advice and I've taken it on board so I'm now looking for a cylinder arm.  I think I'm just about set on a Techsew (online), but I wondered into my local sewing machine store yesterday on the off chance they had something else available. Nothing in the store was suitable but the CSR told me that their supplier does make a cylinder arm machine, the 4300CW.  

It sounds (from the spec sheet) to be very similar to the Techsew but I haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews.  

Has anyone had/used a Reliable machine before?  I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

I have in the past own a Reliable Barracuda and had no issues whatsoever with it. It came with a test strip under the foot of what the machine was sewn off before shipment and worked properly out of the box. The warranty as with the 4300Cw was defined. I still can't figure out for the life of me what a limited lifetime warranty gets you, maybe just me.

When I was looking for a flatbed machine I compared a lot of machines for what I thought I wanted / needed. Reliable was my number two choice. My number one was a Juki 1541S, which I bought from Chris at Japan Sewing Machine and Supply C. ( http://japansewing.com/  ). Their website is terrible but once I called and spoke to Chris about what I was planning on using it for they gave me some choices, Juki or their clone, depending on the pocket book. They had a machine setup for me to test on my arrival, no BS and went over the machine with me. None of the clones I tested came close to the quality of the Juki.

Since you are probably close to Toronto I would call them first. They carry Juki and their own line of Juki clones. The price I paid for my new Juki 1541S was cheaper then what some wanted for a comparable clone.

With such a large layout of cash make a trip too both Reliable and Japan Sewing they are about 25 minutes from one and another. Bring some of your stuff along and do a comparison sew off. Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

I have no experience wit the machines, but it gives an impression of when the name is supposed to mean one thing, but kind of becomes a joke. You know, like "Honest Harrys used car lot". Seems like low price items of often low quality tends to get these brand names.

Reliable has been around since 1955.

20 hours ago, kgg said:

Kgg, 

Thanks for the reply!  I'm almost not sure on the limited lifetime warranty thing, seems to be a little murky.  I think I'll contact Reliable and go sew a few seams on their machines to see how they feel.

And double thanks for the tip on Japan Sewing.  I had come across their website during a search for sewing machine stores in southwest Ontario (I'm in Kitchener) but had been put off because of the terrible website.  I'll get in touch and try to pay them a visit on the same day as Reliable.

Thanks again!

47 minutes ago, twotrees said:

I'm almost not sure on the limited lifetime warranty thing, seems to be a little murky.

Real murky, clear as mud. I couldn't find what a limited lifetime warranty includes / excludes in my searches. I like clearly defined warranties that way I know what I am getting / not getting. You are so close to both save the shipping charges / sewing shops markup and buy direct from either Reliable or Japan Sewing. When it comes to accessories folders, binders, needles, etc buy from Japan Sewing that is who Reliable gets their stuff from.

Let us know which machine you got.

kgg

Pretty sure it means they stand behind there machines for anything other than normal wear and operator abuse . I don't think they are being vague on there statement ..." limited lifetime warranty ". on purpose . I seen Reliable machines around a long time so they must be doing something correctly .
https://www.reference.com/vehicles/meant-limited-lifetime-warranty-4dbf2c74b549812e