JLSleather

Copying and copyright(ing) 'n' stuff

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

My understanding about copyright laws is

Yeah, I think that's about right.  Stohlman didn't invent holsters, or even that style holster.  Just that ART WORK IS HIS.  I'd have to dig out my copy but I think the copyright belongs to Tandy, or is it Craftool, since he was in essence working for them.  So to sell it, a guy would either have to not be aware that's a violation, or doesn't think it will be enforced.  And if you advertise with a paragraph about "your" material being "protected" by copyright - after you took it from somebody else --well, nobody sane needs that explained to 'em ;)

For those making holsters... I will tell you that Glock is quite jealous of their name.  You can make all the holsters you want, and you're free to say it fits or is made for Glock 27, or G43, or whatever.  But if your listing says "Glock holster" or "Glock 19 holster"... don't be surprised when you get a letter from one of Glock's JILLION lawyers, reminding you that you don't have the right to EVEN IMPLY that your item is a Glock product.  Most sites selling dummy guns, holsters, or even parts generally now say "not affiliated with Glock..." If you've  been "getting away with it", I don't recommend assuming that you're "in the clear"... could be they just haven't got to you yet.

From my standpoint, people will do what they do -- the only "property" rights I have are concerning my OWN :dunno:  Though I admit I was amused when that GOOF tried to sell me a "hand crafted holster designed right here in our shop", with MY design (I DID ask him what I should think his warranty is really worth).

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

far better to actually market YOUR product is a way that shows it's worth the money, normally online, by detailed photo's and great descriptions

Agreed.  I think we did that, since we still get asked to make them even though we haven't done one in over two years. 

But of course, EVERYBODY says they have the bestest wonderfullest, greatest greaty great greateninst  leather and done by the smartiest smart smarty that ever was born.  People arent confused... if they were happy with the one for $200 they would have bought it - wouldnt' be emailing or calling me.  But since we haven't been doing them, there's no "listing" showing a price and time frame for completion (why WOULD there be?@!) so some have appeared to think that if 3 of them show up in the same search as ours and are priced for $150-200 then ours must be the same.  I say "appears" because they WANT to appear to have that impression.  Yet when viewed side by side, they contact US.  But you don't get the US work for the THEY price.

Holsters are very simple.  But pretty much EVERY DAY I see holsters listed for sale that really don't look too bad in that first, front view picture.  But flip it over, and you see they have WRINKLES where the holster doesn't actually fit (they've "fudged" it to look right in the front, disregarding the back).  And wrinkles that they've actually CAUSED by [ what they call ] wet forming.  And stitch lines 1/4" or more away from the firearm (though they claim it "fits", and may link to a video showing that they can "click" it in place - which is a whole other deception).  I'd show some examples here, but I'd have to use somebody ELSE"S work since we dont' do that and we don't have that.  Then I suppose I'D be the "bad guy" .. right?  POINT BEING... we eliminate ALL of that... so if the next person doesn't, that SHOULD BE a price difference FOR US.  IF the next guy gets by selling something LESS for the SAME AMOUNT.. I don't sweat it - that aint my money he's spending.  If a guy is okay with wrinkled leather, poorly designed stitch lines, defects in the leather, bad tooling, etc... then Im certainly okay with them getting it.  Just not from us.  HIGHLY INSANELY POLISHED BURNISHED EDGES do not "make up for" bad leather or bad art.

So the idea was not to drag up what some pinhead does or doesn't do.  I just need to sit down and make a rational and clear listing for those "charge book" things that clearly shows the price range and time frame to expect. 

I see more and more people using lasers on leather these days, but we wont be doing that -- that's a whole market you can do WITHOUT us ;)  Because IF what you do is something that ANYBODY can do, then don't be surprised when ANYBODY does.  Anything you put out, the next guy can push a button and duplicate.  And if people want these in TOOLED LEATHER, I think we'll be just fine ;)