Hardrada

Chrome tan and metal: just how paranoid should I be?

I know by now that chrome tan is to be avoided when making goods that will be in constant contact with metal, such as holsters and sheaths. Yet, I wonder just how much should I worry about this when making say, pipe socks that will be used to carry a tobacco pipe (some of which have metal ferrules) and a tamper (most of which are made of metal). Just how long does it take for the chrome salts to tarnish metal?

TIA for any enlightening input.

Just a consideration- chromic and chromate salts and the chemicals used for chrome tanning should not be in contact with anything that will be put in the mouth. 

Heavy metals are cumulative dosing- if you want to ingest it yourself- thats cool... its your life, liver, and body. Death by fashion- we see it every day.

BUT the moment you make a product for someone else from chrome tan leather and its not lined, insulated or sleeved it can be a bad thing. Especially if you are selling or profiting from them. 

Chrome tan is to be avoided for any skin contact for extended periods. Especially sweaty areas. Contact dermatitis is the biggest issue from long term exposure or absorbtion of metalic salts (and the first sign something is wrong as well)

Here is one quote from the Wisconsin dept of health that is found mirrored in the CDC/NCBI and WHO databases I plucked a while back:  "Trivalent chromium, the form most commonly used in tanning, is naturally occurring and essential for good health.  Under certain conditions, however, trivalent chromium will oxidize and turn into hexavalent chromium.  Hexavalent chromium is carcinogenic and can pose severe health concerns for humans, animals, and the environment "

I had to do some research for my "real job"  for a continuing education lecture... and I chose slow poisons- specifically heavy metals and the prevalance of toxins in our everyday environment.

Look at several industries where continued uses of heavy metals have altered our physiologic responses. In jewelry- Nickel was the most common alloying agent for turning gold into "white gold"... Now its practically banned or you have to have disclosure statements to sell it due to the prevalence of dermatitis and nickel allergies.

The manufacture of "pressure treated" lumber was initially with "CCA" salts Copper+Chromium+Arsenic... although the Arsenic has been removed from that formula today...  many playgrounds were built with these treated lumbers- and raised garden beds as well due to their fungal, insect and mold resistant treatment. Groundwater levels and plants directly absorb these...  kids play on the swings and gymsets and wipe their faces...You get the idea. 

No- Im not an enviromental crusader- but I do work in healthcare.

I think the chromate leathers have a place- just not near anyone's mouth or skin. Your mileage may vary- this is just an opinion. 

Good info, thanks. Looks like veg tan is then the way to go. I was thinking of chrome tan because it's more supple and might make a better sock, but maybe firm leather is not that much of an issue.

OK ban all people wearing Leather Gloves, Trousers, Clutch bags, Wallets as they might be killing themselves, Hopefully nylon pop socks act as a isolation barrier and therefore should prevent my wife's feet dropping off as every day she wears leather shoes

:lol::lol:

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

OK ban all people wearing Leather Gloves, Trousers, Clutch bags, Wallets as they might be killing themselves

Death by fashion ... Your choice... 

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

OK ban all people wearing Leather Gloves, Trousers, Clutch bags, Wallets as they might be killing themselves

Death by fashion ... Your choice... 

Avoiding chrome tanned for holsters is a myth.  Lots of IWB holsters are chrome tanned.  It's firmer than veg in thin weights.  You won't be molding it, but for the softer generic looking clip on IWB holsters it's useful.