AusSimon

First Leather Work Attempt - Motorbike Side Bag

Hey All,

Pretty proud of what I was able to produce with very few tools on my first try, so thought I would show it off :)

Also thing i did an OK job matching the Champagne coloured thiner bag leather, with the thick veg tan back piece (Eco-Flo Oil 3 parts wheat 1 part Saddle Tan). Coated the whole thing in 50% mink, 50% Beezwax in an effort to water proof it. And I changed out the Chrome buckle last minute to brass.

Comments and feedback welcome.

IMG_92782.jpg

IMG_9244-2.jpg

IMG_9277.jpg

Brit bike! Triumph man here too. 3rd generation at that. 

As for the bag... wonderful job, for the first project. Superb work! At least to my untrained eye.

Well, it looks like you did a really good job for a first project. You would laugh at mine.

I know I am going to be sorry later but I am going to be brutally honest and say that I think it would be better in Black or a done in a dark brown or burgundy/wine, etc. which would  blend nicely with the Green tank and look more masculine.

Set it off with the gleam of a sliver buckle to match all of the other metal on the bike.

Sorry, sorry, so sorry...

Gorgeous bike! And yes, you should be very proud of your work on this!

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

You know, I just put my pic up after many years on this forum and now I may have to hide my face in shame after that last post.

If it's gone tonight, you will know why!

nick

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the compliments.

@Grumpymann I am a first gen, but absolutely adoring this bike more than any other. Have you done some leather work on your umph? if so would love to see. I am doing grips and cable holders next.

@wizard of tragacanth No i appreciate honestly. I kind of agree with you, however i am actually painting the tank light green and in the process or removing as much chrome as possible.

15 minutes ago, AusSimon said:

@wizard of tragacanth No i appreciate honestly. I kind of agree with you, however i am actually painting the tank light green and in the process or removing as much chrome as possible.

Thank you for your understanding. Now, I will be able to sleep tonight. Okay, now I get it, the tan will coordinate better with a lighter green tank. 

nick

So I AM not the only one guilty of working on my bike in the lounge room :wave:. Did a total rebuild on one 2 floors up once. Nice side bag and extra good for your first leather work.:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

So I AM not the only one guilty of working on my bike in the lounge room :wave:. Did a total rebuild on one 2 floors up once. Nice side bag and extra good for your first leather work.:thumbsup:

Thanks Rocky.

Yep, I am also on the second floor. Need to buy some friends beers and pizza to help me carry it back down again. 

10 hours ago, AusSimon said:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the compliments.

10 hours ago, AusSimon said:

WAT???!!

Removing Chrome?  sacrilege  I tell you, EVERYONE knows that Chrome makes you go faster.  {LOL}

nice saddle bag,  VERY NICE for  1st project,  You gots skills !!!

13 hours ago, AusSimon said:

p, I am also on the second floor. Need to buy some friends beers and pizza to help me carry it back down again

Safety first. Beer comes after ya get it down ...Right.:thumbsup:.

P.S. if you ever get to painting the barrels in that heat paint and dry it in the oven Remember that the liners drop out at a certain temperature and can make a memorable sound that you will be reminded of for years  and years. If you got a wife that thinks them stoves are only for cooking that is.