RockyAussie

sewing machine servo motor other uses.

I stuffed up.:dunno:. In a rush trying to get another 100 odd ring boxes done I didn't notice that my new filament in the 3d printer melted a little easier than the previous lot. For any who have not seen the post on "How I make Wedding ring boxes" check it out.-

Anyway the result is I got over 200 hundred boxes that are splayed oversize where they touch the hot plate. This pic shows what I mean I think-

DSC05300_resize.JPG

Sanding them all down by hand with my normal clean up tool was going to take at least a couple of days not to mention a lot of Oh golly's and gosh darn its:ranting2:. I got to thinking about a spare sewing machine that I recently put on a servo motor and if I could do something with it. I didn't want to totally dismantle it or spend too much time on it either so I just clamped it to the side of the machine as shown.

DSC05302_resize.JPG

Once I got the pulley off, I saw that it had a key way so I decided I'd just print up a holder for the ring cup. One piece so I could get it down to sit on the bearing and another piece to go on top and have enough room to bolt down. 1/2 hour to draw and 1/2 your to print.:thumbsup:

DSC05305_resize.JPG

DSC05306_resize.JPG

DSC05307_resize.JPG

Note: that I used some bicycle inner tube to have some method to apply outward pressure and some masking tape to get the cups on and off quickly and easily.

DSC05308_resize.JPG

Using the edge of a steel ruler it shaved the lip of nice and easy

DSC05311_resize.JPG

A little sanding

DSC05313_resize.JPG

and she is BEAUTIFULLL :spoton:

DSC05315_resize.JPG

I am sure that these could be used very nicely as vertically or horizontally mounted burnishers, sanders, transporters and just a whole big heap of other stuff.  If you've done anything else with one of these motors please feel free to put them up on here. 

Brian

You are a guru when it comes to making machines for leather work. Wish I had seen this before buying a burnisher. Keep the pics coming

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

I stuffed up.:dunno:. In a rush trying to get another 100 odd ring boxes done I didn't notice that my new filament in the 3d printer melted a little easier than the previous lot. For any who have not seen the post on "How I make Wedding ring boxes" check it out.-

Anyway the result is I got over 200 hundred boxes that are splayed oversize where they touch the hot plate. This pic shows what I mean I think-

DSC05300_resize.JPG

Sanding them all down by hand with my normal clean up tool was going to take at least a couple of days not to mention a lot of Oh golly's and gosh darn its:ranting2:. I got to thinking about a spare sewing machine that I recently put on a servo motor and if I could do something with it. I didn't want to totally dismantle it or spend too much time on it either so I just clamped it to the side of the machine as shown.

DSC05302_resize.JPG

Once I got the pulley off, I saw that it had a key way so I decided I'd just print up a holder for the ring cup. One piece so I could get it down to sit on the bearing and another piece to go on top and have enough room to bolt down. 1/2 hour to draw and 1/2 your to print.:thumbsup:

DSC05305_resize.JPG

DSC05306_resize.JPG

DSC05307_resize.JPG

Note: that I used some bicycle inner tube to have some method to apply outward pressure and some masking tape to get the cups on and off quickly and easily.

DSC05308_resize.JPG

Using the edge of a steel ruler it shaved the lip of nice and easy

DSC05311_resize.JPG

A little sanding

DSC05313_resize.JPG

and she is BEAUTIFULLL :spoton:

DSC05315_resize.JPG

I am sure that these could be used very nicely as vertically or horizontally mounted burnishers, sanders, transporters and just a whole big heap of other stuff.  If you've done anything else with one of these motors please feel free to put them up on here. 

Brian

Well yes,,,I made a brass tumbler out of a treadmill

my brass tumbler

I see you are using emery cloth sand paper try this,,open mesh it last a lot longer,  i like it better after it is used, 

That's very clever.  Thank you for sharing.

11 hours ago, Frodo said:

I see you are using emery cloth sand paper try this,,open mesh it last a lot longer,  i like it better after it is used, 

Thanks for the thought ....I will try and see if I can get some of that local.:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

That's very clever.  Thank you for sharing.

Shame I wasn't clever enough to check the ring boxes as they were being printed :unsure: but I guess it helped me see some more of the potential of these little motors. For a 3/4 hp motor with variable speed settings and mounting equipment that allows such a wide variety of positioning and for under a $100au on ebay.:banana:

12 hours ago, noobleather said:

You are a guru when it comes to making machines for leather work. Wish I had seen this before buying a burnisher. Keep the pics coming

:wub: Thanks @noobleather . Note that the face plate has 4 threaded screw holes (4mm) already tapped and waiting for mounting to tables or whatever...

I'm thinking of making up a new double sided belt sander with them sometime soon. This one below I did with large bench grinder motors many years back and I want one that can sand on the under edge at the same pass. Gotta check one to destruction first though.:smashcomp:

DSC07922_resize.JPG