MarkCdub

Dart case wrist band

I'm going to be making a wrist band for my stepdad to hold his darts (3) with a pocket to hold a couple of extra flights and shafts.  This is the design I sketched up.  I am curious what y'alls feelings are for leather weight.  I have 2 oz and 5 oz veg tanned currently, and I am thinking about using 5 oz for the strap/back piece and 2 oz for the front and pocket pieces.  Using the lighter leather for the front will allow it to take more of the form from barrel of the darts and leave the back flatter (hopefully), and will allow for more flexibility and a slimmer look.  My concern is with the 5 oz leather and if it is in the goldilocks zone of thickness and strength.  I want this to be comfortable (will obviously need some break in time and some wet forming wouldn't hurt) and long lasting.  I will be making this one with a watch strap style band but if his dart friends want one I may just make them with snaps to make them easier and more cost effective.  Anyway, now that you know my plans, I'm open to any criticism/ideas on design, weight, or etc.

20190910_143504-1.jpg

I think your idea is sound. I would use Velcro for the closure system on the strap. Then 'one-size-fits-all'.   If you think 5 oz [2mm] is too thin, line it with some thin suede or pigskin - I would do that anyway to give a smoother surface against the skin of the arm. Are the pockets for the shafts long enough?

I was contemplating lining the strap, my concern with the thickness of the strap is that it is thick enough to be durable and thin enough to be flexible.  The weight of the darts and a couple of flights/shafts will be relatively light.  I am hoping for it to fit like a watch and I want to ensure the weight of the leather will hold up over years of use.  I don't want it to stretch too much or deform from the weight being too thin, I think a 5 oz leather should give me the characteristics Im looking for (I hope lol).  Using some heavy duty 3m velcro is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of (I have a roll of it in the garage), but Im not sure how I will like the aesthetics of it.  I may add it as an option since it would make the adjustability limitless for a perfect fit.  I could even add the snap side to make it look how I want.

Im sure the pockets are deep enough for the shafts.  They are no more than 3 in long and the pockets are inch deep.  The barrel pockets will allow the attached shaft and barrel to stick out.

Edited by MarkCdub

@MarkCdub I just finished a product like yours except it has 6 loops across it to hold extra ammo when hunting.  I would abandon the leather for your straps, I tried it and there was no way to keep it tight.  There is more slope in your forearm than you think.  I ended up using 3" elastic with velcro sewn on the ends for closure.  I will add a picture of what I did.

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

The width of the strap is slightly larger than 3/4 of an inch, roughly the size of a watch band.  The dart holder part is 2 1/4 in X 2 1/4 inch, so it is no where near the size of your ammo carriers so it should still give the wearer mobility and flexibility.  It is designed to be worn on the wrist like a watch, I could he wrong but atleast in my mind the dimensions I'm working with should be similar to wearing a large watch and possibly lighter.  I'm going to make him one so I will see how his holds up, and how he likes it.  The darts will ride similar to his current pouch that Ill leave below for reference.  I may also leave pocket open rather than stitching to allow the wearer to place things in there where they want.

20190908_193152-1.jpg

I'd be worried about an arm/ wrist band squashing / distorting the flights against the arm, unless you made them "stand off" in some way, in which case the worry would then be of them catching on something..or what was used to cover them catching on something..Used to play a lot of darts many, many years ago ..good "understanding how your body and arm / hand work together" ( kind of a "yoga or zen thing" ) for an airbrush artist when one is not actually airbrushing..

Used to suggest to students to play darts when I was teaching art at various Art Schools ..keeps their "eye in", gives them an excuse to go to the pub ;)

edit..thought..you could go for a closed box design on a wrist / arm band..like the "Predator" has ..Gives you a few design options, steampunk, future, medieval etc..Maybe leather over plastic / kydex to form the box..or just casing..

Edited by mikesc

I played darts from about 10-18 yo.  I stopped playing when girls became more important...  I was really good.  I wish i never quit, I had alot of high level players tell me to keep playing and I beat some really good players at a young age (made them fighting mad lol).  I agree with everything you suggested about protecting the flights and shafts from damage and that is a concern of mine.  Shafts and flights are pretty resilient and I dont envision players keeping them in there for an entire day/tournament.  I'm trying to keep the strap small and lightweight.   I feel like it is more of a novelty that a dart player would carry just to show off.

Edited by MarkCdub