Starman

how to soften double shoulder?

Hi folks, 

I'm trying to think outside the box here, and thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions or solutions they might have come up with themselves.

I'm trying to soften a 5-6 oz double shoulder (think of a belt, not the whole hide) to be as soft and pliable as a finished hide, ideally like bison, for example.

I know you can use olive oil to soften it up some (I am aware olive oil degrades the leather over time,  tho) or neatsfoot oil (although I've tried neetsfoot oil before but it never seems to stop seeping oil) so i thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas or suggestions.

I am aware I'll *never* get a shoulder to have the softness and pliability of bison (and that's not the goal) but any suggestions to at least make the shoulder MORE pliable and softer than it is now,  would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks you guys!

Neats foot oil works as well as anything I have used, put on several light coats, don’t soak it or it can’t soak it all up!

yor could try  deer tan db shoulder. it is really soft.

If you cut the belt blank, . . . then roll it from end to end around a 3/4 inch dowel, . . . flesh side inside, . . . you will be amazed at how soft and pliable they become.

My belts all get this treatment before I pass them on to my customers, . . . everyone appreciates it.

The amount of oil you have to put on a belt to "soften" it, . . . will also ruin it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I'm always trying to figure out new and different ways to do things...and not having any real luck with this one....but you never know what other people may have come up with or figured out, especially those who've been doing this for a while.

Milling softens the milled leather so mill it. Like @Dwight says, roll it around a dowel or something similar. You work it and it'll soften a bit. It's manual milling.