Hardrada

English Bridle Revisited: Dyeing Flesh Side

Well, as we know, English Bridle looks like an Oreo when viewed sideways. Whilst the flesh side comes already kinda finished and nothing I can see needs to be done to it, when you skive it or split it, the back 'choco' cover gets shaven off and you end up with natural colour. My question is, what's best to dye that? On a sample belt that I made I used Edge Kote to have no light colour shewing where I skived the buckle end. It didn't matter much in this case because I stitched said end and the flesh side won't be seen. However, I've some belts in the works that won't be stitched, but have Chicago screws instead, and I'm wondering what's the best practice there.

I made a test last night with Giardini Edge Paint. It looks OK, but this is a very small piece and the Giardini bottle is very small too. The actual area on the belt is relatively large. Should I use Fiebing's Pro Dyes for this? All I have right now for dyes is black Edge Kote and black Giardini Edge Paint.

Also, once dyed, should the dyed area be sealed and burnished?

Edited by Hardrada

I have used Fiebing's dyes on this section myself, with a bit of dubbin or oil after it dries.  You could seal it if you are concerned.  I would think it a bit much for Edge Kote or paint.

Interested to see what others have done as well.

YinTx

I use dye -- either Fiebings or Norsol or the powder dye commonly used on bridle. I mix mine with the glue water I use for burnishing.

If you're really stuck, a black marker works but try it on a sample first, some dry weird.