ewayne53

Suede for Rifle Sling

I'm making a rifle sling and I want to put some suede on the back. I've never worked with suede so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Since the main sling will be 8/9 oz I'm assuming I want the suede to be much smaller like a 2/3 oz.

Any input is appreciated.

In my opinion I believe you first need to determine the intended use of the sling.  For example, will it be primarily used for carrying a rifle with occasional use as a hasty sling or is it intended for use in competition setting?  Once the intended use is defined, then the build components can be spec'd out.

I'm not a pro leather worker or even a skilled hobbyist, but I have a solid background in firearms.

I use pig suede for my hunting slings. 

I've seen some "slings" that can only realistically be used by weight lifters --- 8/9 oz with about 4 oz suede on the back. Weighs as much as the rifle :o 

If you're going to suede line, I'd use something more like a 5/6 or 6/7 for the body of the sling.  Then about a 4 oz suede wouldn't be quite so obtrusive.