Been a while since I played with leather, longer since I posted here. Made this hatchet sheath for a coworker as a house warming gift. For some reason I really struggled with layout on this one. I’m not totally thrilled with the final result, but the hatchet fits nicely and it rides ok on the belt. Feedback always welcome.

7611D7F4-1F38-4D98-8C47-B246738B3049.jpeg

A97A3BCB-1C5A-457F-868B-081271E0F5E3.jpeg

73F287CA-E7C6-4DDF-AC91-A80F00DD149A.jpeg

B45799A5-7872-4BC8-B838-05744E4F2B44.jpeg

Edited by Retswerb
Duplicate pic

I like it a lot! You should be proud of that piece. Curious as to what you don’t like about it?

Thanks @AndyL1! Mostly it’s a bunch of little stuff that’s bugging me. The stitching in the corner looks a little wonky, I should have ended the stitch line by the handle with a rivet, I’m not crazy about the belt loop, etc. But given how long I spent I’m not about to start over! On the bright side, I spent some extra time sanding the edges before burnishing this time and they came out smoother than I’ve gotten before.

Edited by Retswerb

The cover looks OK to me. Yes, the stitching on the corner is a bit close to the edge, but it should survive; and if you've backstiched well enough you shouldn't need a rivet

But I have a question for you. What make is the axe please? I bought one that looks the same from a secondhand stall, including the marking on the face, which I assume is the weight in grams. My guess is BAHCO, but it would be nice to know for sure

did you put a welt in it to protect the stitching? Its a pretty piece of work friend!!

Nice burnish!  Clean looking design.

YinTx

Thanks all!

@zuludog the axe is a Stihl. To me the head shape is a little odd but it feels nice in the hand.

@chuck123wapati there is a welt along the blade edge, not along the bottom. Only my second time working with a welt and boy do I have things to learn! I struggled to get the overall size right and to get the welt the way I wanted it.

On 11/12/2019 at 3:25 AM, Retswerb said:

Thanks all!

@zuludog the axe is a Stihl. To me the head shape is a little odd but it feels nice in the hand

Stihl is a German company I believe so the axe head is a European type. Very cool the classy sheath design fits it beautifully.