Frodo

goofy question

Does anyone know if the toy guns on the market,  are the same shape of the real guns?

I know they look the same. and have the red tip

But...I was kicking around the idea of using one as a wet form template

thoughts? 

Some are almost the same, but you need to google the dimensions of a real gun then compare with a size of a toy 

I have used a  plastic toy gun which is the same shape & size as a .357 magnum to make a holster,  but not to wet form to get the exact same shape.  The client brought his ( real) 357 to my workshop ,  to find they are an exact match to my toy one, pure fluke   :specool: 

Not such a 'goofy question' after all eh ?  :)

HS 

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I have used a  plastic toy gun which is the same shape & size as a .357 magnum to make a holster,  but not to wet form to get the exact same shape.  The client brought his ( real) 357 to my workshop ,  to find they are an exact match to my toy one, pure fluke   :specool: 

Not such a 'goofy question' after all eh ?  :)

HS 

I am to cheap/ miserly/ Broke  to fork out $50.00 or $60.00 for a plastic template

In the UK toy guns are deliberately not the same size at all.  Here a toy gun is only of use to make a holster for itself

Although I don't make holsters I reckon the price of a template or stamp into how many times I'm gonna use it pro rata, eg a stamp cost me £25. I expected to use it 12 times, thats £2.08 per item. But I've now used it about 36 times = £0.70 each item and I'll be using it another 8 to 10 times soon.

In your case; make more holsters and sell them. Say you make 10, thats only 5 bucks per on each one. By using a proper blue gun mold then you can be shure of the fit.

Seems the airsoft is the same size as the long slide

only difference is the  length. and that looks like it can be shortened

NOT bad...a $6.50 template verses a $50.00 template

1911  mold.jpg

If you have the real gun, why not use the real gun? I do this frequently, especially if I am only making a one-off.

However, you could make an unlimited number of holsters from the same gun, if you wanted to. It's not going to harm it.

I just wrap the gun in a single layer of Saran wrap and wet mold by hand (or in a vacuum bag), NOT in a shop press.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Seems the airsoft is the same size as the long slide

only difference is the  length. and that looks like it can be shortened

NOT bad...a $6.50 template verses a $50.00 template

1911  mold.jpg

yes a lot of the airsoft are the same or very  very close , I used my sons p92 airsoft for a form for his real 92 worked great.  but some also cost some bucks one perk is they are fun to shoot lol. 

1 hour ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

If you have the real gun, why not use the real gun? I do this frequently, especially if I am only making a one off.

However, you could make an unlimited number of holsters from the same gun, if you wanted to. It's not going to harm it.

I just wrap the gun in a single layer of Saran wrap and wet mold by hand (or in a vacuum bag), NOT in a shop press.

nick

I I never really been interested in pistols.  Now, If you Want to talk long guns.  you have my full attention. LOL

I think the Swedish Mauser's  M94  M96 M98 are the most accurate, flat shooting guns made

7 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I I never really been interested in pistols.  [edit]

Hey, wait a minute... aren't you the one that brought this up... accompanied by a pic of two 1911's ???

I'm confused... as usual.

nick

22 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Hey, wait a minute... aren't you the one that brought this up... accompanied by a pic of two 1911's ???

I'm confused... as usual.

nick

LOL.....Yes I brought this up...A couple guys want holsters.  And YES, I am into reloading and shoot almost every day. I shoot long range

plinking at crap 50 feet away just does not interest me.  A golf ball 100 yards away is more my style.

Do not be concerned about being confused,   I live in a state of confusion,

24 minutes ago, Frodo said:

LOL.....Yes I brought this up...A couple guys want holsters.  And YES, I am into reloading and shoot almost every day. I shoot long range

plinking at crap 50 feet away just does not interest me.  A golf ball 100 yards away is more my style.

Do not be concerned about being confused,   I live in a state of confusion,

If you're ever in Wyoming look me up we'll do some 300, 400, 500, 600 yard shootin I have a few fun guns.  Including an old Mauser lol.