Hardrada

When to Lace and When to Stitch?

That is the question. I tried to google the answer but all I get is noise.

Can anyone here tell me when should one thing be preferred over the other? Is lace less durable or resistant than Tiger thread?

My (probable) present problem is a Bible bag a friend of mine commissioned: he wants me to use the 9 oz water buffalo I got from Tandy, and that leather is chrome tanned and pliable as heck—I so dread even the thought of skiving it to punch the stitching holes. I was wondering if lacing would be an acceptable alternative. Of course, I'll run the idea by him, but I'd still like to know if I should presently incorporate lacing to my meagre set of skills or if I should leave it for later.

TIA.

20 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

I'd still like to know if I should presently incorporate lacing to my meager set of skills or if I should leave it for later.

Because the buffalo leather is so soft, it will be hard to get the lacing to look good, as it will tug on the leather and will be hard to make the stitching even. At least that is my experience. Firmer leather holds up better to the stresses of lacing.

I'm curious what you mean by "skiving it to punch the stitching holes." Of course, I really have no idea what your pattern looks like or how you plan to assemble the pieces. :rolleyes2:

1 minute ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I'm curious what you mean by "skiving it to punch the stitching holes." Of course, I really have no idea what your pattern looks like or how you plan to assemble the pieces. 

Well, the bag has two U-shaped (more like Џ-shaped) gussets. If the leather is ~3 mm thick, that'd leave me with a 6 mm thickness to stitch through. I was thinking of thinning the edges so as to end up with, roughly, 3 mm thickness. This leather is just not burnishable, and I was thinking I didn't want a super thick edge there.

Sew it together inside out, then turn it out.  The seams will lay flat so you can stitch and the edges will end up inside the bag - no burnishing.  Might need to enlarge you pattern enough to have some "meat" outside the stitch lines.