Jooleus

Mitsubishi YU-360 - looking for info

Folks,

New to the forum and about to purchase an industrial machine. I am not working leather - more ballistic nylon and the like for pet collars and leashes, and will be doing work on some boat canvas. Looking for an industrial compound walking foot that’ll last me, and I have come across a Mitsu YU-360 that appears to be awesome shape for a good price. It’s a few hours drive for me to go look at it, but before I do I want to ensure it’s even worth doing so. Anyone know anything about this machine? I am familiar with Pfaff and Adler as the “creme de la creme” and I know some of the Made in Japan brands are supposed to be excellent too. This is made in Japan but the Mitsu website shows it as discontinued since the late eighties. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I had trouble even finding a picture of this machine, let alone any technical info.  Must not be as popular as some other brands.  Maybe someone on the forum has some experience with one.  Make sure parts are still available if you buy it.  

Looks like the YU-360 mdl. was discontinued around 87, but machine new-old stock probably sold well into the early 90's .
( If the price is good ? ) with machine clean and running good . Take some cordura and webbing over there and run the machine to check it out .

Jap. Mitsubishi's were put together solid back then . ALSO .. ( i sure there are )  there has to be parts/accessories for it that will fit the YU model .  but you need to do work in finding the copy/clone models that resemble that design, and Feet , Dogs , needle plates , Bobbins..etc , are also shared across the board on many machines .

Superior Sewing Machine & Supply has an illustrated parts list for the YU-360-22, which shows it is an upper-and-lower feed single needle machine with no evidence of a walking foot mechanism. The parts list catalogs a reverse lever and associated hardware, but the pictures of the machine body don't seem to show it. I didn't find a spec sheet to see its capacities.

-DC

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info and to you DC for the time spent researching this . It looks to be in fantastic shape - shows little to no wear. Here are some pics. 49E98D4E-F785-4B21-9E40-AECACF8D57FA.thumb.png.6d860cb04befcf012f8b6b1d4742bdfb.png

D5404B3C-E261-424D-A06E-136B87175466.png

C732CC5F-7713-45F0-8893-FD79B9C3711F.png

The picture does show it has a walking foot, after all.

-DC

2 hours ago, SARK9 said:

The picture does show it has a walking foot, after all.

-DC

ya .. The old ( YU model )  is Mitsu.walkfoot ...' I think ? ' the DU models were Needle-Feed  ... Mitsubishi made a boat load of All-similar looking heads back then . also Those Pic's posted,  looks just like the exact cast Body style of the 80's era Mitsubishi DB models ( bottom feeds ) with it's Body shape and color, stitch length knob and narrow black reverse lever and hand wheel . I still have an old DB-170, with parts galore still able to x-reference .

Edited by nylonRigging

They look frightfully similar to Juki. I own a single-needle straight stitcher Mitsu which is identical to your pictures, except that it does not have walking foot.

The stitch length disk operates a pin with a taper tip, which locks in the notches on the disk. That tip has a tendency for wearing off and allowing the disk to turn freely as you go in reverse.

My solution was to turn the pin on a metal lathe to make the tip slightly concave and that fixed the issue.

Also make sure that you know exactly what needle system to use! Make the seller change a needle before you test stitch. They should take 16/134 IIRC but some owners adjust the needle bar for whatever needle system they have on hand.

Edited by DrmCa