dfrensdorff

Palosanto vs. Barry King Edge Bevelers etc.

Hello All ... if this has been asked before I apologize, but I did a search and didn’t find anything .... looking to get a full on new set of bevelers and French slivers. Palosanto vs. Barry King?  Apples to apples the difference is approximately $150 or so more for Palosanto.... worth it?  Thanks 

I can only speak to the one Palosanto tool that I have which is an awl.  I have a lot of awls.  The Palosanto is one of my favorites - for small leather goods, it is exceptionally high quality. The profile is unique and very well adapted to the more contemporary slanted style stitching.  The handle is very comfortable, and made from Argentine Lignum Vitae.   I am surprised I do not hear more about this brand on this forum.  I'll be curious to see if others chime in on the comparisons.

YinTx

Thanks for the feedback .... I’ve heard their tools are very nice, but are they that much better than Barry King?  They indeed do look beautiful!

YinTx, what is the shape of the awl blade?  Can't really tell from the photos.  They only say 'flat'.

God bless

@MikeRock, it is flat. The end is squared off.  The profile is not diamond shaped, but flat, think KS Blade Punch flat, but flatter and slimmer.  If I get a chance today, I'll post a photo of it.

YinTx

Thank you YinTx.  That makes it similar to a flat punch I used in the late 60's.  Worked fine after I polished it up.

God bless

Here are the photos.  It came with a lot of tools that I had purchased, and I had thought originally to sell it since I have so many awls, but after I used it I decided to keep it!  You can see the profile of the hole it leaves-different than most.  Not great for fat thread, but awesome for the tiny stuff.

YinTx

Palo1.thumb.jpg.9b8e2a6a66d7a8ccf6f2718f984fa0db.jpg

Palo2.thumb.jpg.994e4236d0c8b5c58d86232993fe8b88.jpg

Palo3.thumb.jpg.a56b21227a662e48540f92e1c043d192.jpg

Palo3.thumb.jpg.a56b21227a662e48540f92e1c043d192.jpg

Palo4.thumb.jpg.6bdae66528df1fc6d8a9db9a4ae83931.jpg

Palo5.thumb.jpg.0262720640c0fce2c65c46ddf2cd61fd.jpg

Palo6.thumb.jpg.04eba6b821a4c9ea8d63a941e9f04ab0.jpg