Longbows

Staining edges without goofs

When edge staining or edge painting, what are you doing to keep from getting paint/stain on the face or backside of the leather?  I am using antique gel to stain the edges of my projects and the slightest bit of gel on the face or backside looks so amateur.  Any help is appreciated!!

I used cotton buds for a while, but now I use a pencil dipped in a pot of Edgekote as an applicator. It's cheap; easy to use; you can vary the load; and once you've got used to it you can be quite precicse

The technique I use is - always work from the outside onto the edge. Use a small amount of Edgekote and angle the pencil to cover the corners of the edge; then apply a slightly thicker amount to fill in the actual edge

It only works well if you've already burnished the edge to obtain a smooth finish, with water, gum trag., Tokonole, etc.You can't get an even straight line on an irregular surface

Another one is to take one of those little wooly daubers that come with the 4 oz of Feibings dye, . . . take a Bic lighter to it and burn it down about half way, . . . being careful not to make a torch out of it.  Rub  all the carbon off it, . . . dip it in the dye, . . . shake off the excess . . .  and paint your edge.

This is the only way I do it, . . . and I do very little of it.  It is efficient though, . . . just practice a bit on some junk leather laying around, . . .  you might like that process too.  The dauber will then dry hard if you don't clean it with thinner, . . . and you'll have to roll it around a bit next time you need it to bet it pliable again, . . . I have a black one and a brown one for whichever I need.

May God bless,

Dwight

G'Day,

I have used a few methods, the cotton buds, that ' zuludog' mentioned. I use those for many jobs,they are quite handy, but some are better than others I've noticed. Some hold their shape, some go all ' fluffy' with fluffy bits hanging off.  The other method I have used is, sheep skin off-cuts , cut into swabs that I use for  all my dying, they are around 2" square, some  are bigger. I trim one corner   neatly to use for edge dying.  Just practice on some scraps first.

HS