Dantan

Fortunea Model V 50 K problem

I have a Fortunea Model V 50 K  Skiver,  and I am have some issues.

Basically what i *want* to do with it, is skive the last 1.5 inches end of a strap, as if you were going to fold it over, to put a belt buckle on the end of it.

What it currently does,  is skive the last 1.5 inches,  the part skived is much thinner on the side that goes in, then the the side that comes out last.  I am not sure if that description is clear,  I will enclose a picture of a drawing of what it is doing.

I am kind of lost, because this machine has SO MANY CONTROL KNOBS!!!   and I don't have a manual .

I have looked for youtube videos on it,  but have not found any that deal with this.   (Please, if you know of one, let me know!!!!)

Thank you in advance, for any help!!!

Dantan

Skiver issue.jpg

I think what you want done would be better accomplished with a Lap skiver.  They look for all intents and purposes like an ordinary "pull through splitter".  

They start out at the original thickness and then progressively dig deeper until you stop and you get even skive from side to side.

Edited by sheathmaker

If you can post some pictures that show a few shots of how you have the machine set up might help. In particular the area of where the feed stone is in relation to the bell knife for being parallel and then the presser or roller above it from the bell. All these would need to be parallel with each other firstly. The feed stone would need to be all but touching the bell knife for distance. The spring pressure applied by the adjustment knob at the far back on the left may need to be loosened a little to stop any sudden grabbing as it feeds in. Get plenty of scrap and make sure that the bell is sharp and play with them knobs until they start to make sense. Campbell Randall has a few videos showing adjustments with these machines and I would study through them first.

Hi, they say a picture is worth a thousand words??....   2mm thick and about 25 wide, 50mm foot, 4-5 passes.

20191205_121602.thumb.jpg.6739c0c6272271e868784d4ae95a3ccd.jpg20191205_121611.thumb.jpg.8ebccb90d230ebb4b1da8e0fce08bac5.jpg20191205_121734.thumb.jpg.9426a6dda30cb0f3e3634951bc34e817.jpg20191205_121918.thumb.jpg.9c2b9ec0c7e14d32bb210b48b299b5c7.jpg20191205_121950.thumb.jpg.2cb406142f51f7914bfbe5c712c4a8d5.jpg

Edited by jimi

I have been doing that on my splitter.  I start of with the thin end and progressively open the splitter as I move along.  It works much better than using my skiver.