KennethM

Tandy sander/burnisher machine

I would like the Cobra one but I don't have the funds..for $200 is the Tandy one worth it?

I make mostly sheaths and wallets

I bought the wood burnisher Tandy sells for their machine and put in on a $60 Harbor Freight buffer.  Works great.  You could put a sander on the other shaft of the motor.

Todd

I have the Cobra machine. A friend has the new Tandy machine. It seems like a good burnisher. Whether it will last as long only time will tell but it seems made well enough. As for using the Harbor Freight Buffer, I guess it might work if you want to try and burnish everything @ 3450 RPM. The Cobra and the Tandy burnishers are variable between 2000 and 3450rpm. Personally I never use mine anywhere near full speed  or it will just leave burn marks on the leather.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, Hildebrand said:

I bought the wood burnisher Tandy sells for their machine and put in on a $60 Harbor Freight buffer.  Works great.  You could put a sander on the other shaft of the motor.

Todd

Did you have to modify the arbor shaft or the burnisher drum at all? I've been considering going this rout as well for a low cost alternative. 

Edited by Heather Face

Heather,

All I did was measure the shaft and then I used a drill press to drill out the burnisher drum.  Its pretty hard wood so I would suggest a new bit.  I picked a bit slightly smaller than the shaft so its a press fit and I put the nut on and it works like a charm.  As noted above you have to be careful because of the speed but with a little practice and a light touch you are good to go.

Todd