Sign in to follow this  
ke6cvh

Juki LU-563 safety clutch bypassed/spot welded

Hello group,

My contact here overseas offered me a Juki LU-563 that has been "overhauled" for 400 dollars on the head.  With a new 750 servo motor and a new table it will raise price less than 200 dollars.  Reading up on the threads I see there is a spring that can become weak.  He did not tell me this problem and I asked of course how tight the machine is and was told it is very tight.  I asked I think it was the third time and was then told the spring had been doubled and then someone had tack welded the pulley so that the safety clutch would be bypassed.  Looking I can see the 206rb has it and already knew the 112w had it.  He tried to tell me the 212w does not have it but a google search showed it does.  My Singer 45k1 does not have it and I think but not 100 percent the Cowboy cb-4500 here does not have it.  I remember Bob Kovar mentioned to hold the thread back at 2 o'clock or if the thread got hung on the hook it could knock the machine out of timing so I'm assuming no safety clutch on that machine.

Assuming the machine is in fact tight and this is my only concern my question then is what happens when the thread gets all caught up?  Will I damage the hook assembly or the machine or just knock it out of timing without the safety clutch?  I need to decide by tomorrow as he already had it in his car and was driving home. He thinks I will be careful sewing and in fact that is mostly true (nobody is perfect) but if I have a sewer and that person hits a zipper with no clutch then a broken needle and/or timing knocked out or more extensive really bad damage?  

Advanced thanks and best regards,

Mike

Mike,That's a great price.For that kind of $$ you could cut the weld with a Dremel & repair it or buy a new clutch & replace it.If it jams & you are sewing fast it could twist or break the shaft with it being welded.Going slow w/a jam will stop it quick,just unjam & continue sewing.

Seems like a good price. You could spend some money and have a good machine. As long as someone didn't weld the clutch assembly to the drive shaft it could be replaced. Check and see what shape the drive belt is in. The clutch assembly is not an expensive item ($70) and I would replace the clutch assembly and belt (if needed) before use. As far as damaging parts without the clutch assembly being operational who knows. I would still like to know why they they tack weld the clutch assembly.

kgg

Hi Bob and kgg,  I am asking for pictures where all the welds are but already have been told "of course it was not welded to shaft just tack welded to keep the clutch from slipping".  I agree on getting the clutch going again proper and it being a good price.  My engineer friend turned sewing machine mechanic who arranged the machine told me it is a common problem/fix here.  He also has several 212 machines at his place for years now.  Wants to give a 212A141AA (Argentina Singer) original color white to me for Christmas as a friend and said he will overhaul it (I've done him some favors so likely a return gratitude):)    Sounds like I'll soon enough have a compound feed with a U bobbin.  He told me he can also get me an "overhauled" 211u-6e for 300  USD even.  We can definitely use more double needle machines here as we set up for backpacks and work pants production.  I like the idea of 1/8 needle spacing instead of 1/4 for back packs however but for work pants it's 1/4 inch for most stuff.  My other recent purchase was a new (I believe it was stocked for too long and never sold) Chinese clone of a MItsubishi LU2-4420 1/4 inch spacing double needle walking foot for 520 USD plus fuel (about another 20 dollars).   Zero problems on paint and never repainted.  Original clear tubing for auto oiling system with no deposits.  Likely never sewn on zero lint anywhere....just too clean for a cover up job but sticker is peeling off a little on one corner for the safety sticker.  Never heard of the company but here is a picture of the machine.  This deal came with a table and servo but the table is missing the rubber pieces on the bottom so I'll have to Mcguiver that missing part.   I'm really excited to give this Mitsubishi clone a run for it's money.  It takes same bobbin as the lu-563 so it's another "U" bobbin :)  Best regards, Mike    sorry...typo the motor was not included  just checked.  There is some minor chipping in the picture I think from mishandling the machine moving it around.  This is coming from a small dealer for a Chinese importer in country.  Oil filter new also but that is an easy replacement.  With no oil residue in the tubes and original it was used little to never at all.

MitsubishiLU2-4420clone.jpg

Edited by ke6cvh