fighttobreathe

How to Attach Round Braid Handles to Tote Bag

I've made some 8 strand round braid with a core handles (photo attached) and I'd like to attach them to bags...

Should I just attach them akin to the same most common way people attach rolled handles? Except with a braided handle I would need to fabricate the folded pouch/flap section and glue and stitch the braid in the back part of the pouch (so you couldn't see the stitched from the front) and then sew the pouch/flap to the bag?

I've seen smaller metal cup situations, where the braid is glued into a metal cup that has a clip on the end, but they are all too small and I don't trust the weight of a larger bag in that situation...

OR I know there are braiding techniques, such as starting the braid on an o ring or similar hardware... but I haven't found an easy explanation how to replicate that on the other end. I've read plenty about back braiding, and terminal knots, or ADDING a terminal knot over the end of the braid, but I cannot yet seem to get a grasp on the process. 

I own Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding, and that is what I have used to teach myself the round braid and others, but I cannot seem to figure out what other technique to begin and finish in order to make attachment to the bag (with readily available hardware) easiest with the cleanest finish... and possible in chrome tan leather and not rawhide. 

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! *especially if you can provide a photo, or a page number in Bruce's book...

Thank y'all so very much. This site has been a joy to peruse and learn from, and that's due to the great work of it's members! 

Charlesanne

https://imgur.com/foSKNpB

foSKNpB - Imgur.jpg

Edited by fighttobreathe

Probably not strong enough but a neat solution and I don't know what sizes they go up to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Colour-Bag-Straps-Connector-Hanger-Metal-Buckle-Classic-Handbag-DIY-62-25-18mm/303358163979

@toxo

I would LOVE to use something like this. But I cannot find anything large enough for my purpose! :(

48 minutes ago, fighttobreathe said:

@toxo

I would LOVE to use something like this. But I cannot find anything large enough for my purpose! :(

Without knowing the application or the strength required I can only suggest. If it's just a one off then maybe find some tube of the right diameter and solder/braze to one of those  hooks and paint it or nickel plate it (youtube vids will show how) .

On 1/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, fighttobreathe said:

I've made some 8 strand round braid with a core handles (photo attached) and I'd like to attach them to bags...

Should I just attach them akin to the same most common way people attach rolled handles? Except with a braided handle I would need to fabricate the folded pouch/flap section and glue and stitch the braid in the back part of the pouch (so you couldn't see the stitched from the front) and then sew the pouch/flap to the bag?

I've seen smaller metal cup situations, where the braid is glued into a metal cup that has a clip on the end, but they are all too small and I don't trust the weight of a larger bag in that situation...

OR I know there are braiding techniques, such as starting the braid on an o ring or similar hardware... but I haven't found an easy explanation how to replicate that on the other end. I've read plenty about back braiding, and terminal knots, or ADDING a terminal knot over the end of the braid, but I cannot yet seem to get a grasp on the process. 

I own Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding, and that is what I have used to teach myself the round braid and others, but I cannot seem to figure out what other technique to begin and finish in order to make attachment to the bag (with readily available hardware) easiest with the cleanest finish... and possible in chrome tan leather and not rawhide. 

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! *especially if you can provide a photo, or a page number in Bruce's book...

Thank y'all so very much. This site has been a joy to peruse and learn from, and that's due to the great work of it's members! 

Charlesanne

https://imgur.com/foSKNpB

foSKNpB - Imgur.jpg

Did you ever figure out how to go about it? I am in the same dilemma. I have some ideas, but nothing that is sitting right with me.