NewfoundlandLaw

Stacked Leather Handle - Cutting Dies

Hey All

I am a knife maker who has been making a lot of stacked Leather Handles lately.  (I usually have loads of veg tan scraps so it kinda seems natural.)

I am getting tired of cutting each oval piece by hand and then cutting a slot for the tang by hand.  A simple mallet die or even a press die would do much better and be infinitely faster.  Every knife needs 20-35 of these pieces, so the work really adds up

Anyone know where I can get a die that will cut leather pieces to make stacked leather handles?

For reference, this is what the the leather pieces should look like after they are cut:

4B515ABB-77E3-4827-A640-C7304B0990CD.jpeg

What are the dimensions?  Round hole punch, followed by slot punch (will have rounded ends), then two opposing cuts with strap end punch?  I wonder what it would cost to make two dedicated punches?  If you are sanding or grinding to finish, would just a single round punch make the outside, then grind it down? 

17 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

What are the dimensions?  Round hole punch, followed by slot punch (will have rounded ends), then two opposing cuts with strap end punch?  I wonder what it would cost to make two dedicated punches?  If you are sanding or grinding to finish, would just a single round punch make the outside, then grind it down? 

I want to both make the oval shape and the inner tang slot simultaneously.  

If I can get the size of the oval right, it reduces the overall grinding required. :)

Sounds like a clicker die or custom punch is in order, but you knew that.

You guys getting hit by a big blizzard?  BBC just mentioned it.

God bless

Check out this video from Geordie leather. Especially from 7:37mins in. 

I got one of these magnets. Works a treat but won't pull the cutter out. Probably would if I soldered a cutter to the magnet but I just want one offs so won't do that. A stronger magnet could be better with solder/tack weld.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strong-Magnets-30x20x5-mm-Neodymium-Block-craft-magnet-30mm-x-20mm-x-5mm-N42-Bar/182942145946?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=690259429188&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought this box of cutters. Most of which could be used to fashion into what you need. I'm assuming you have an arbor press or similar else probably won't be cost effective  against having one made but then most tools aren't. Just a thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-39-Shape-Style-Hole-Hollow-Cutter-Punch-Set-for-Handmade-Leather-Craft-DIY/372848601203?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=641660429125&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649