Jkozam88

Buffalo leather

Hello all. I’m having a real hard time finding buffalo leather. More specifically full grain buffalo leather still with its pebbly grain in 8 oz dyed diff colors. I am looking for purple and red. I know they make it because I have some pieces that are, as far as I am told, made from what I listed. Any help is appreciated. 

Do you mean bison?   try springfield leather for bison.  

If you're looking for Buffalo Finished Leathers, I may be able to help. I have access to a Tannery who may be able to make it.

Can you share some pics of the leather you have/want.

If they say yes, i'll ask you to send the swatches so that they can match.

Do you have any price target in mind ? And How many sqft do you need ?

Buffalo in North America means Bison..Buffalo in India means Water Buffalo ..not at all the same animal, nor is it the same leather..But, a lot of apparel sold in North America and Europe as Buffalo..( which the buyers think is Bison ) is actually using Water Buffalo and is made in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Importing hides from India involves customs charges, health controls , brokerage charges, shipping charges etc..It is only viable for large quantities..Most of the Production in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh is chrome tan..not veg tan..There is some veg tan..but you'll usually be able to buy cheaper and better in North America or Europe...and with far less hassle.

Just to add..Water Buffalo does not have anything remotely resembling a "pebbly grain"..Unless it has been rolled and textured at the tannery..If you want to see Water Buffalo..visit your nearest Biker Apparel dealer..ask to see the non smooth items, the smooth ones will be Cow hide ( Vests , Jackets, Trousers ) ..The ones with what look like a lot of tiny creases and fat marks and bites, nicks etc ..You'll be looking at Water Buffalo..especially if it is black..Tanneries tend to dye Cow hide in various colours, and Water Buffalo in Black..It is cheaper than Cow hide..when made into Garments or accessories the difference is about 10% at "true wholesaler/ manufacturer"* pricing..because it has more blemishes..Buffalo lead harder lives than Cows ..It is more hard wearing ( abrasion resistant ) than Cow Hide..and is a better choice for Biker Wear and accessories.

Personally I prefer Water Buffalo to Cow Hide.. :)YMMV..

*Mike (North Star Leather Company ) will know what I mean by true wholesaler/manufacturer..because he is one :)..as is Rocky Aussie and some others here.

But many who present themselves as such , especially in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, are just agents for the actual manufacturers, tanneries, or wholesalers, or OEMs...Idem China.

Edited by mikesc