chrisash

Largest size of embossing template

Just wondered what is the largest embossing template you have made by 3D printing, obviously for most people the limit is either the table size of the press they use and its limits

What got me thinking is there are now 1005x 1005x 1005mm 3D printers (FDM) for £12-15K, which are probably out of most people's range, but at that dimension you could emboss a 38mm mans belt with a single flat template of a massive design providing the press was large enough and powerful enough ( far more interesting say that the current repeated pattern by using roller's

Quite unrealistic at present, but it seems that embossing leather does not get much attention apart from some belts, but even a standard 25x250x250 3D ress could emboss say a nice veg tan book face id you had a powerful enough press, working on the assumption that the larger area to emboss take more pressure to obtain the same depth of emboss (may be totally wrong on this)

So back to my post question, in say sq inches or cm what is the largest emboss you have made, mine would be about 2.5cmx2.5cm which was beyond the limit of my arbor press to emboss well, the actual embossing layer inside that square would be about 40% or the whole area

Edited by chrisash

Maybe I did not explain very well, what I was thinking on the belts was the ability to make embossed belts which mean something maybe in terms of celebration

Imagine making say a limited edition of a top division football team celebration of winning a competition or a company on reaching its 50th anniversary, in fact any reason you like, you could make a 100 specially designed belt showing for instance the team players and the cup etc as a 1 in a hundred made identical belts, so they may become more valuable like say autographed items i.e. collectors pieces, or maybe a ships crest or squadron logo for the military

Belts offer a lot of potential that is not used at present, there seems lots of people doing notebooks of various police and other forces, Tooling would need skill and take a lot of time where as embossing, is easy to draw up a design and make a template

Me I am retired and not interested but just a idea I had, and don't get stuck on the large machine there will be plenty of printers that could no doubt be adjusted to a larger frame so £12k is not needed, just showing they are available commercially at present

Edited by chrisash

I am following this thread to see what the 'experts' come up with. I think the press idea could work over a large area if there was a thick top plate placed on top of the stamp/die/embossing plate. I bought, in a pile of second-hand gear, some stubby-holders (I think USA call them drink coozies?) with designs that were around 4 inch X 3 inch from memory. 

I get the impression that apart from makers marks, embossing seems to be to commercial to the forum, who seem to prefer one off tooling although both rely on good design