Rossr

Drop point hunter with sheath

Got this sheath done today.  Drop point hunter o-1 tool steel brass bolster and spalted maple(I think).  

Sheath is again w&c with a green deer skin liner.  Tried out the tri weave stamp which was a bit tricky.   

Thoughts as always welcome

20200202_132428.jpg

20200202_132456.jpg

20200202_132507.jpg

Seriously must be super bowl weekend for folks to have not seen this and commented!  Fantastic work, and nice blade, too!  

I did have one fellow tell me that if the row isn't running straight, rotate it and try again.  As in make a practice run on some scrap to see which of the three points should go up to make the tool run straight.  I had no idea it would matter, but apparently it does?

YinTx

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

Seriously must be super bowl weekend for folks to have not seen this and commented!  Fantastic work, and nice blade, too!  

I did have one fellow tell me that if the row isn't running straight, rotate it and try again.  As in make a practice run on some scrap to see which of the three points should go up to make the tool run straight.  I had no idea it would matter, but apparently it does?

YinTx

Thank you!  Interesting point about the three points. I didnt think about that but it makes sense. 

Go Chiefs!  Actually I wasn't too invested in the game, except I find it cool that it had been 50 years for the Chiefs and the St. Louis Blues had not won the Stanley Cup in 50 years, so it was a perfect storm.  Go Missouri!

Getting back to the knives.  Rossr was kind enough to send me some photos of his workmanship and I have to tell you he makes some beautiful, and I'm sure functional, knives.

Never ceases to amaze me the creativity that goes into that type of work.  From the shape of blades and handles, types of materials and combinations thereof, it is a seemingly unlimited craft.

I don't wear hats, but if I did, hats off to Rossr for some seriously beautiful work.

22 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Go Chiefs!  Actually I wasn't too invested in the game, except I find it cool that it had been 50 years for the Chiefs and the St. Louis Blues had not won the Stanley Cup in 50 years, so it was a perfect storm.  Go Missouri!

Getting back to the knives.  Rossr was kind enough to send me some photos of his workmanship and I have to tell you he makes some beautiful, and I'm sure functional, knives.

Never ceases to amaze me the creativity that goes into that type of work.  From the shape of blades and handles, types of materials and combinations thereof, it is a seemingly unlimited craft.

I don't wear hats, but if I did, hats off to Rossr for some seriously beautiful work.

I appreciate the thoughts and compliment. Thank you 

Ross

Looks good did you make the knife also very nice !

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

Looks good did you make the knife also very nice !

Sure did. Made the knife and the leather.  Thanks

On 2/4/2020 at 9:34 AM, Rossr said:

Sure did. Made the knife and the leather.  Thanks

is that your own design on that knife looks really great, i like 01 easy to work with to you got me thinking with that one nice work !

35 minutes ago, Samalan said:

is that your own design on that knife looks really great, i like 01 easy to work with to you got me thinking with that one nice work !

I suppose it is my design.  I've made this style drop point hunter for a long time. Just kinda works out this way and feels good in the hand to me. I dont know what makes a knife a person's design.  There are only so many types of knives. In this case a drop point style.  Drop points have been around for a long long time....so someone originated it which for sure wasn't I.  We all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us!

Ross

Ps,  if you are thinking about making a knife go for it, worse case you learn something!  And you get a knife!