Sign in to follow this  
Tugadude

Suggestion

I have noticed that there are topics that come up repeatedly and seem to warrant a "sticky".  One that I've been thinking about recently is stitching chisels.  Whether it is stitching chisels and their function or chisels versus pricking irons the subject seems to arise weekly.

So would it make sense to include a header under Leather Tools called Stitching Chisels where it could serve as a source for people wanting more info on them?  Posters could chime in with examples of specific tools and their experiences with them, types of spacing, thread choices, etc.

Just a thought.

that's a great idea I see that also and I think it would be easier to search.

Thanks for the feedback Chuck.  

One of the motivations also is that there still is misinformation as to what the purpose of the various irons is.  It is not as simple as saying stitching chisel versus pricking iron.  There is crossover.

Some of the newest designs of pricking irons have rather slender teeth that don't taper out too much and can be used as stitching chisels.  And of course, stitching chisels can be used to mark leather like pricking irons, just don't tap very hard.  

But for purposes of the forum, I think it would be good to separate them as to their main application, and that is pricking irons for marking and stitching chisels to create holes.

The topic should be informational.  Opinions as to whether you should engage in one process over another should be reserved.  Some people prefer one way and that is great.  So let's give those who want to experiment with stitching chisels information on brands, styles, spacing, tooth angle, recommended thread, etc.  Then they can make up their own mind.

Edited by Tugadude

A thought I just had would be to include Nigel Armitage's written reviews of the various irons.  On his website he has more than 20 reviews now!  And they go into great detail.  This would require his permission of course.

Hi i can see the merit in this as stitching chisels do seem to help people who want to start leather working, they can produce a decent looking stitch in a very short time and it does seem the the chisels are improving all the time. So it is good way in for people who are interested in this wonderful craft to take it up and have a go without have to have some sort of formal training which at times can be expensive. Oh yes, you do know which camp i sit in as far stitching chisels v pricking irons  i sit in,  that said i am not anti stitching chisels they do have there place in this craft but there are parts of this craft i would not recommend they be used.

Hope this helps

JCUK

I want to publicly thank the moderators at this forum for agreeing to post this as a "sticky" topic in the 'Sewing Leather' section of Leatherworker.net.  I am glad that value was seen in it.

For those that haven't found the thread, I urge you to go and read the post from Nigel Armitage.  It was his videos that really hooked me on learning this craft.  I am and will always be a hobbyist.  But I am very proud of many of the things I've made and the process was helped along by watching videos from Nigel and others. 

If you don't know what the differences are between stitching chisels and pricking irons or their strengths and limitations, you owe it to yourself to read Nigel's comments.

If you are looking to buy a set of either style of iron, you owe it to yourself to read Nigel's reviews and watch his videos.  It will help you from making a mistake and buying something that ends up being something different from what you expected it to be.  His written reviews are extremely detailed, down to what needles and what thread to use while his videos show the irons in action and the resulting stitching.

Here's the link: