Sign in to follow this  
Davidmadd

Stiffening Leather

Hi - can anyone advise re:-  Stiffening leather.  I have acquired a fair bit of good quality upholstery leather.  I would like to make a couple of bags/messenger bag but feel that the leather is too floppy and flexible. Does anyone know if its possible to apply a liquid product to stiffen the leather and make it suitable??? Alternatively could anyone advise of a UK supplier of a stiffening product that could be glued to the leather??Many thanks

David; Plymouth; UK

Le Prevo in Newcastle used to do 'bag lining'. A very stiff fabric type stuff. I have some somewhere but I've never used it

With upholstery leather I double up the layers, sandwiching cereal box type cardboard in between. If a soft gusset is needed than that it left as a single layer

A quick online search for bag stiffened should turn up some options.   Brand names include Bontex, Tax on, and others.

- Bill

6 hours ago, Davidmadd said:

could anyone advise of a UK supplier of a stiffening product that could be glued to the leather?

Not sure of UK sources, but you might look at what fabric stores sell, called fusing. It is a fabric stiffener that you can simply iron onto flesh-side of the leather, no gluing necessary. It should work great with upholstery grade leather. Heat n Bond is one brand name.