LiftPig

Glove Strap

A glove strap I made for a guy in my department. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Critique welcome. 

99A70A8B-833F-4C56-B8E1-E28F59F38C9B.jpeg

3930EA21-5AB9-454C-9616-61C084C66248.jpeg

64B428BA-1207-4FD6-9A8F-3EBA9472D87D.jpeg

88F59A77-4343-4B90-A7E5-6435E6ABA3C0.jpeg

1 hour ago, dikman said:

Very neat. Quite complex, just for holding gloves.;)

True. But firefighters can’t risk missing their gloves. And we like flashy stuff. 

Looks great and surely it will last a long, long time.  Is it designed to just hang?

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Looks great and surely it will last a long, long time.  Is it designed to just hang?

Usually they just hang there but there have been reports of people using them as drag lines for fallen firefighters.  I used pretty beefy hardware with that in mind.  The thing is definitely over built just as a glove holder but you never know.

Our pockets are usually loaded with other various crap and hard to get into once our respirators are on (the belt traps the pockets closed).  Most firefighters like having their gloves hanging from their coats (the loop on the coat is designed for that purpose).  Nylon straps are available and generally pretty cheap but won't last long in the interior environment of a working fire where temperatures can be 2-400 degrees or more.  

What gave me the idea to make one was a firefighter had a similar one and was lamenting that it was getting old and falling apart and the guy who made them wasn't doing it any more. So I sat down and drew up some designs and the rest is history.

Have to wonder, why they don't just have a Spring Snap Carabiner Hook ( like on dog leads ) on each Glove ( on the outside ) so that they can clip them to their coats..or to their sleeves..A D ring on  each side of the coat, or on each sleeve..clip the glove on and.. "job's done"..Or a D Ring on each glove..and spring clips ( like Carabiners ..or Spring Snap Carabiner Hooks ) on the coats / clothing ..and again "job's done"..seems to me to be far more simple..and way less chance of getting "hung up" on something..in a burning building or anywhere..

Your straps are well made :) ..nevertheless :) ..But the concept of "glove straps" seems like an overly complex ( and not efficient ..they can still fall out of the strap far easier than they could "un clip " ) solution to a very simple requirement*

..*how not to mislay ones gloves.

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

Have to wonder, why they don't just have a Spring Snap Carabiner Hook ( like on dog leads ) on each Glove ( on the outside ) so that they can clip them to their coats..or to their sleeves..A D ring on  each side of the coat, or on each sleeve..clip the glove on and.. "job's done"..Or a D Ring on each glove..and spring clips ( like Carabiners ..or Spring Snap Carabiner Hooks ) on the coats / clothing ..and again "job's done"..seems to me to be far more simple..and way less chance of getting "hung up" on something..in a burning building or anywhere..

Your straps are well made :) ..nevertheless :) ..But the concept of "glove straps" seems like an overly complex ( and not efficient ..they can still fall out of the strap far easier than they could "un clip " ) solution to a very simple requirement*

..*how not to mislay ones gloves.

Two reasons.

The gloves would have a catch point.  Most structure firefighting is done crawling and snaps etc. could catch and tear or remove the glove while working.

Heat.  If a snap hanging from the glove rested on something hot it could make the glove unwearable forcing the wearer to endure or remove their glove.  The turnout jacket that glove straps hang from are much more heat resistant and made of multiple layers with dead-space heat shields between each layer.  The gloves cant offer that feature and be usable.  

Actually three reasons - and this one's kinda dumb.

Tradition.  Fire departments (in the US anyways) are very steeped in tradition.  Its why we wear helmets that are inferior to others that area available.  Our grandfathers did it that way so....

First two  of your reasons is why I adjusted my thoughts to D Ring on the glove..which could easily be be covered so that in a "crawl" there would  be no problem with "catch points"..and certainly less of a "catch point" problem than with a strap on the coat..and that would remove any problem re heat on the Glove...

But..I hear you regarding point 3, ( insert "wry" smiley ) "tradition"..gets in the way of many improvements..and can cost lives..until someone ( with enough "juice" ) says .."but wait..that is not the safest way etc"..

Back when I was in the UK I was ( amongst other things ) a volunteer fireman ( because I was already para-medic trained* ) ..here in France I have seen ( around 10 years ago..on three occasions ) firemen** take the helmets off motorcycle accident victims, to put them in a "neck brace"..they may still do so..which, as someone who has ridden many motorcycles, scares me..

*UK military for a time.. in some units..everyone has to be..

**Here it is the fire service that is called and which takes one to hospital , if required, after a RTA..or any "Blue light" incident..their para-medical training is , IMO, and IME, very very rudimentary..

Edited by mikesc