Tiffany

Wish I lived in the UK!

Tiffany, the peace of resistance.

http://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/

Try a google search of Cordwainers college (now affiliated with the London fashion college I think.

Barra

Tiffany,

When I left the Army I did some training with David May.

Excellent tutor, very knowledgeable and an interesting chap all round. I did general leatherwork, tack repair, saddle reflocking (which I'm quite good at but hate), formed leatherwork and a few other things I can't remember.

Since I trained there I occasionally pop in to see him as he lives only 25 miles away and he is a constant source of (free!) help and advice. I think he has some pictures of my work on his site - at least one of a dog harness if I recall correctly.

As he's a working saddler as well as a teacher I got to see quite a bit of interesting work that was brought in such as broken saddles, heavy horse collars and so on.

I would say that attendance on any of his courses is well worth while, particularly as he's close to the Lake District and Scotland for holiday trips.

I have noticed that a couple of other leatherworking schools have appeared in the UK fairly recently and they seem to be attempting to emulate David, so he must have something worth replicating.

Gary

Cumbria is such a lovely part of the UK and well worth a visit..spend two weeks one at the school and enjoy the rest with outstanding views that are on offer around the area Hexham comes to mind an old Roman village crossing a river. I spent 6 months learning Celtic art there Hexham Abbey was once described as `the largest and best examples of Celtic art,

hexham1.jpg

hexham2.jpg

Edited by RockyWolf

There are domestic US schools too.

I think Spokane Washington has a community college with a degree in leatherwork? then, there are various private saddlery schools too.

of course if you had the $$ to take the classes in the UK, it would be like a working vacation.

Edited by $$hobby

Tiffany,

I just finished the class you mentioned in your original post. It was a great time and

I learned quite a bit. David is a fantastic teacher and a wonderful guy. I'd recommend

it to anyone. I'm sitting at Heathrow right now waiting for my flight home.

Well, I thought the same only half a year ago :yes: but last April I joined a basic bridle course here in Holland. Philip Howard from Saddlery Training Scotland (saddlerytrainingscotland.com) came over to Holland to teach a few Saddle Fitting students and I had the opportunity to join in. We learned all the necessary techniques for making (foal) halters.

Next week, he comes again and we will learn how to make a made-to-measure bridle which can be used to make bespoke bridles.

I bought my strop from David and his service was great !

I plan to go to Scotland next year for the saddlery repair and reflocking course and I eventually want to learn how to build custom made English saddles for pony's/little children and the disabled as here in Holland knowledge about saddles is very limited.