Roadogre

Help with braid on leather vest

Does anyone know what this braid is called and possibly link me to a tutorial? I think it is done using 1/4” lace but I can only find 3/16”. Do you use a round punch for the holes or a lacing chisel? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

39010BD4-B5BD-4B22-BD95-EEBFA1A1ACB9.jpeg

4ABAEC17-A338-4883-BC02-20A2A0B78160.jpeg

242AFCDB-2010-4FFE-8DB1-0F7FE65289F0.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Sturme said:

looks a lot like mexican round braid.

Yeah, I think you're right. I would use a small round punch for holes for that. I saw some natural goatskin lace at 1/4" somewhere and one of the selling points was that it could be dyed. Can't find right now it but it's out there in the wild.

Google turned this up:

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/30-1810/kangaroo-lace-1-4/pr_55749

https://www.leathercordusa.com/category/C9-6MM.html

Leathercordusa in particular has some items of interest.

Regards,

Arturo

8 hours ago, Arturomex said:

Yeah, I think you're right. I would use a small round punch for holes for that. I saw some natural goatskin lace at 1/4" somewhere and one of the selling points was that it could be dyed. Can't find right now it but it's out there in the wild.

Google turned this up:

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/30-1810/kangaroo-lace-1-4/pr_55749

https://www.leathercordusa.com/category/C9-6MM.html

Leathercordusa in particular has some items of interest.

Regards,

Arturo

Thanks for the info. Would I use a 1/4” punch for 1/4” lace? Also is there a formula for determining how much lace would be needed? Someone told me 3X the length of the braid.

39 minutes ago, Roadogre said:

Thanks for the info. Would I use a 1/4” punch for 1/4” lace? Also is there a formula for determining how much lace would be needed? Someone told me 3X the length of the braid.

I thought I might offer my two cents. I've done quite a bit of braiding and lacing, and find that there is no single formula for determining the length of the lacing material because of the many variables at work (thickness, spacing, distance from edge). I would suggest that you create a sample piece before you put too much effort into your final project. It will provide you with an opportunity to see if you are getting the look you want, and to get answers to your questions. I almost always build prototypes for my projects, and find that in the end it is worth the extra effort.

Well, I generally punch a hole that's a little smaller than the lace. For example, if I'm using 1/8" lace for a Mexican basket weave, I use either a Number 0 (5/64" ~ 1.98mm) or Nummber 1 (7/64" ~ 2.78mm) punch. I prefer to fill my holes up. I'd recommend taking a few test drives around 3/16" or 7/32" for 1/4" lace. As to hole spacing, I'd start with holes 1/4" apart and 1/4" from the edge. Again, I''d test drive that and do some fine tuning if needed. I usually plan on about 7 to 7.5 times for lace,

Regards,

Arturo

21 minutes ago, Arturomex said:

I usually plan on about 7 to 7.5 times for lace,

Since this is a two-tone braid, would that be the total length of the two strands?

1 minute ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Since this is a two-tone braid, would that be the total length of the two strands?

That's a good question. I've never done a basket weave in two tone but I think maybe I'd try something like a four thong approach. Do you think two times per thong would be enough to make it work?

Regards,

Arturo

5 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I don't really know without seeing the project, so I tend to defer to Bruce Grant. Here is his explanation.

Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding 162.pdf

Yeah, I can see that for loop edge lacing. I was thinking more along the lines of pages 298 and 299 where he addresses Round Braid Edge Lacing.

Regards,

Arturo

9 minutes ago, Arturomex said:

I was thinking more along the lines of pages 298 and 299 where he addresses Round Braid Edge Lacing.

I stand by my earlier comments that each project has its own parameters, so there is no one answer as to the length of the lace. One thing I do know is that it's better to have the lace too long than too short.