PappysLeather

Best way to apply antique gel

I am working on a rifle scabbards. I want to apply saddle tan antique gel. What is the best way? Do you apply to the whole project at one time then wipe it down or do  you apply it a section at a time then wipe? What is the best thing to use to apply?

For something that large I would be worried about it sitting too long. I would work in sections. 

For application, sheep skin is great. It's used for lining saddles but it's great for applying antique. Use paper towel for wiping it off. If you cant find any sheep skin (saddle shops might let you have their scraps willingly) just use a wool dauber in circular motions. Really work the antique in and wipe off excess. 

STETSON912

Do I apply the gel on the whole project then wipe it down?

Apply your resist first I'd you are using one. Then let it dry thoroughly. Maybe 2 or 3 coats might be necessary too. 

Then you can either work in sections applying antique to one section at a time and wiping off

Or you can antique the entire thing and then wipe it off. The issue here is that generally, the longer antique sits on the project the darker it gets. That means a potential for unevenness. I haven't dont large projects like that so I cant say what will really happen. 

In the end though, you will want to have covered the entire piece with antique and wiped it off. Even with resist, the color changes a bit. Covering the whole project makes it more uniform looking. If you are very careful, it may be possible to antique just a few areas. This is project specific of course. 

Did that answer your question? If theres any uncertainty or other questions feel free to ask

Honestly though, I think either way you apply it will be ok. It would have to sit a while and you'd have to work awful slow to notice any significant difference I think. If you are quick about it I think you'll be fine. Make sure u rub it in good and then wipe off each section or the whole project once application is done. 

Also, don gonzales has a video and article on how he antiques that I'd recommend