Sign in to follow this  
shripud

Books for Making Leather Goods Pattern ? Handbags and Briefcases .

Hello All,

I am looking for books which can teach me how to make leather goods patterns. I am intrested in learning advance techniques of pattern making for making handbags and briefcases.

Thanks

1 hour ago, shripud said:

I am intrested in learning advance techniques of pattern making for making handbags and briefcases.

Then you might want to look to Al Stohlman's books for inspiration. You can find them at this Tandy link, and also on Amazon, EBay, etc. He clearly details the fundamentals.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/stohlman-leather-craft-books

17 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Then you might want to look to Al Stohlman's books for inspiration. You can find them at this Tandy link, and also on Amazon, EBay, etc. He clearly details the fundamentals.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/stohlman-leather-craft-books

Hello,

I thank you for taking out the time to reply to my inquiry.

The link provided is inaccessible to me, probably because I am accessing it from Asia.

I did get my hands on a few of Al Stolhman's books Art of Making Leather Cases Vol 1 to Vol 3. The books are very nicely designed and does have some great designs to work with.

But specifically I am looking for a pattern instruction on "how to make turned in bags with gussets"   (picture attached).

Regards

Shripud Khemka

turned in leather laptop bags.jpg

18 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

You can go to https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/ and all the books are free.

Hello,

I thank you for taking out the time to reply to my post.

The site surely looks helpful and does contain a lot of books for me to go through.

But specifically, I am looking for a pattern instruction on "how to make turned in bags with gussets"   (picture attached).

Regards

Shripud Khemka

2 hours ago, shripud said:

Hello,

I thank you for taking out the time to reply to my post.

The site surely looks helpful and does contain a lot of books for me to go through.

But specifically, I am looking for a pattern instruction on "how to make turned in bags with gussets"   (picture attached).

Regards

Shripud Khemka

Look at the patterns. you will find a few things there. and as for turning it is pretty easy. Look on youtube for help there. If you are looking for a one stop place for all your needs on one project. it will be hard to do if you don't want to pay.

Sorry no book suggestion but a similar looking bag (without the external zipper pocket and shoulder strap) can be found on the tube (Studio Hael) along with a pattern.  

StudioHael_SP briefcase.jpg

Edited by tbone669
Changed pic from pdf to jpg

No insult intended but are you new to leather work?

If not how many and what projects have you done?

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1717/vintage-dispatch-rider-pattern-pack-2659

changes to that pattern.

and the zipper technique in this vid should point you in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

No insult intended but are you new to leather work?

If not how many and what projects have you done?

Well I own and operate a leather goods export company in India. 

The problem that I regularly face is with the fit of the turned in bags that we create. I was looking to hone my skills and reduce the time taken to make these prototypes.

You are very kind to try to help me. I will reply once i have gone through the video.

Regards

Shripud Khemka

3 hours ago, tbone669 said:

Sorry no book suggestion but a similar looking bag (without the external zipper pocket and shoulder strap) can be found on the tube (Studio Hael) along with a pattern.  

StudioHael_SP briefcase.jpg

Thank you so much for taking out the time to reply to my query.

This is what i was exactly looking for. I went ahead and have downloaded the pattern.

Thank you

Shripud Khemka

10 minutes ago, shripud said:

Well I own and operate a leather goods export company in India. 

I believe that pattern is for non-commercial use. It was great for me to use and learn from, that is why I posted it.  But hearing that you own an export company, makes me a little concerned.

59 minutes ago, tbone669 said:

I believe that pattern is for non-commercial use. It was great for me to use and learn from, that is why I posted it.  But hearing that you own an export company, makes me a little concerned.

I am not going to use to it make the same bag. As i said before i am only going to use it to hone my skills. 

The pattern clearly states that its for non commercial use. 

No parts of it will be reproduced in any of our products. 

Regards.

Shripud Khemka

Try looking at the main book on this Amazon page-- maybe it has what you need. --> Title= The Leatherworking Handbook: A Practical Illustrated Sourcebook of Techniques and Projects
Then look at the "see also" books at the bottom of the page. 
https://www.amazon.com/Leatherworking-Handbook-Illustrated-Sourcebook-Techniques/dp/1844034747