Handstitched

Help Identifiying This Tool

I got this tool years ago, not sure where, as people just like giving me ' stuff' .

So I just like to confirm my suspicions that its for removing flesh  after skinning/tanning  small skins like rabbits etc. It has wooden handles, a  curved blade on one side and a 'toothed' blade on the other.  approx 13- 14" long . No names or numbers. 

I do have a frame for just that. It looks like  an " H" . It has  an  adjustable  clamp at either end with wing nuts to clamp the skin . 

Thanks for any help,

HS

Misc pics May 2020 007.jpg

Misc pics May 2020 008.jpg

I'm still no closer to confirming what the wood-handled tool is, either for wood or tanning.

Its has a curved blade on one side and teeth on the other.  I have tried all sorts of search words. 'Draw  blades,( for both wood & skins)  skinning knives , fleshing knives etc.  I can understand the curved blade, but what about the 'toothed' blade ?  I haven't seen anything like it on the web.  :dunno:

HS

Could someone have made it as a one off, just to suit their needs for a job they were doing.   If so, you might never know what it was used for.

@RockyAussie Well I'll be buggered !!!!  Thats exactly what it is . So I was right after all.  

Thanks mate  :) 

I have no idea how old mine is . I've had it for at least 10 years, but I doubt its hardly an ' antique'. No more than 25-30 years old ?

Birdsall's have tanning chemicals. I guess I should give it a go at least once in my leather working life eh? ......now that I have the stretching frame & knife.

I bought a stock whip from GG Saddlery  just last year , so good to deal with. It had a personalised  note from GG inside the package . I kept that. 

HS

May be you could get lucky and find a fresh Roo on the side of the road with a hole in it's head and tan it's hide?

Bert.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:33 PM, Handstitched said:

@RockyAussie Well I'll be buggered !!!!  Thats exactly what it is . So I was right after all.  

Thanks mate  :) 

I have no idea how old mine is . I've had it for at least 10 years, but I doubt its hardly an ' antique'. No more than 25-30 years old ?

Birdsall's have tanning chemicals. I guess I should give it a go at least once in my leather working life eh? ......now that I have the stretching frame & knife.

I bought a stock whip from GG Saddlery  just last year , so good to deal with. It had a personalised  note from GG inside the package . I kept that. 

HS

See if you can track down a copy of "A Handbook on Knives Skinning and Tanning" by John Liedreiter. ISBN 0 9595120 0 4

It covers just about everything about home tanning of leather both Veg and Chrome. Heck those chemicals at Birdsall's may even be for his Tanning kits.

The book may take a bit of tracking down though, it was originally published in 1979 and my 4th edition was published in 1983. Don't know if there are any later editions out there. You may get lucky and find it at Birdsall's, my computer is too old and I can't navigate there site. but I don't recall seeing it on Maclace's site.

G'Day,

Thats really good to know, thanks for that . 

HS

Just had a look at the Greg Grant Saddlery site. Except for the name and the artwork this kit https://www.greggrantsaddlery.com.au/stable-and-grooming/leather-care-and-tools/tanning-formula-and-kits/leder-utility-tanning-kit looks exactly like the Liedreiter kit my brother and I had in 1976-1977, or there-abouts. Still got the fleshing knife kicking around in the toolbox.