Sheilajeanne

Chair for Leatherwork

Due to ongoing health issues, I am getting a lot of swelling in my feet and ankles, which puts me at the risk of a blood clot. I know there's a lot of older leatherworkers out there who probably have similar issues. Is there any sort of a task chair I can buy that has an elevated footrest?

My Lazyboy recliner is fine for watching T.V., but just doesn't do the trick for leather work!

Okay, have spent the last hour doing research, and there's an unbelievable variety of solutions out there, with prices ranging from $10 for a bamboo footstool for playing the classical guitar, to a $600 gaming chair footstool!

The first solution I looked at, a regular office chair with an attached foot rest that folded underneath didn't work, because the height of the foot rest can't be adjusted, and I really need to be able to do that. 

I now think the best solutions will be something like this: https://www.amazon.com/WalterDrake-Miles-Kimball-Adjustable-Footstool/dp/B004H0F3SI

or this (which I maybe even could build myself!) https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/477733472958203178/

I also like this animal footstool, which has the advantage that you could easily turn it to make it easier to get your feet out from under the desk! Besides, it's CUTE!!  https://www.wayfair.ca/furniture/pdp/isabelle-max-baird-animal-shape-ottoman-c002850636.html?piid=960273670

But no, not $94 bucks worth of cute...I'd build my own. Some cloth, or maybe leather, some plywood and foam, and 4 small screw-in legs, or maybe casters, and a set of stick on googly eyes!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I use an office foot rest from Amazon.  It sits about 5 or so inches high, and can be adjusted lower if necessary, would the be any help?   Cheap too.

Looking at your links, my suggestion might be too low for you.

Yes, I really need to have my feet at about the same level as my hips for it to do any good. :(

Seems to me that a leatherworker oughtta find a nice wooden stool just under the right height at a yard sale, some foam padding, and some veg-tanned leather to tool up 'n make it look nice.   

- Bill

Just had a thought, how about using one of those drumming/drummers stools.   Adjustable, solid, stable, and cheap.   It can even be easily folded up when not needed.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

@Sheilajeanne would a foot massager/vibrator be of any use? they are supposed help with blood circulation, swelling ,   etc. Massage your feet while you work. Put one under your bench.( or even  mix a tin of paint on it....just kidding)  No doubt there'll be varying views on these gizmos, but just a thought? Although not as cheap as foot rest. 

HS

Handstitched, no, I REALLY need to keep the feet elevated to prevent the swelling. Massage just isn't enough to do the trick, though walking would definitely help, and I'm doing more of that now that my breathing is slowly improving and I don't have to lug an oxygen tank along!   :rolleyes2:  

(I do have a vibrating foot bath for foot massage and maybe should use it more often, but it's more for sore feet than swollen feet.)

No one ever told me chemo would do that to my breathing! After many many tests, my lungs look fine, my heart is fine (after a procedure to plug a small hole I've had since birth) but the breathing ain't! 

9 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Just had a thought, how about using one of those drumming/drummers stools.   Adjustable, solid, stable, and cheap.   It can even be easily folded up when not needed.

Hmm...not sure the surface area would be big enough. And a rectangular stool would provide better support than a round one. Might be worth having a look at them, though!

Since the seat pops off, you could alway make a bigger one to fit?

Hm, yeah, that's a thought...