Jocker

Poor Quality Consew Parts from China?

The mechanic who works on my Consew 226-R has warned me that production of replacement parts for these machines has shifted from Japan to China, and that the quality has suffered appreciably. I'm looking around for a machine to replace it, but I don't want to run into the same problems. I've been looking at vintage Durkopp/Adler and Pfaff machines. Are the parts for these machines still quality, or have they suffered like Consew?

I've noticed quality issues with Pfaff style feet made in China.  Very inexpensive, and very cheaply made.  Sometimes they work fine, and sometimes they create problems.  Same as the accessories for Japanese machines.  

Pay a little more and order OEM when you can.  

That fact alone wouldn't make me switch machines though.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

even when you pay more (when buying directly from China) you never know if it is the same part with just a higher price. No one knows in advance... But buying from a dealer with a good reputation most likely is the best choice. I figured that JUKI and SEIKO oem parts are of a way better quality compared with what you get directly from China via Ebay or Aliexpress or so. Yes, a bit more expensive but trouble free. I received some very good parts directly from China (f.i. complete hooks for $12) but also some rubbish parts. I usually buy OEM Seiko & JUKI parts for my Singers from College Sewing in the UK and what I can´t find there I try to find on Ebay (from China).

Edited by Constabulary

I have had mixed results buying from China, whether it's direct or through ebay.

I have needle plates that are as good as OEM and a couple that bent as soon as I tried to sew anything a bit heavy, but I have had nothing that totally failed.

I have purchased items from dealers on ebay that where not as good as direct purchased at many times the price, it is a little bit of a lottery.

I only buy some items from known good dealers here in Australia as I know I will get only the best quality.

Remember you only get what you pay for.

Bert.

If you can swing it, and want top quality Japan go with an LU-1508N.  Same setup as your 226R, same presser feet and needles, same feed and plate.  Larger bobbin top load like your 226R, and has higher foot lift, longer stitch length and larger bobbin size.

Like you said, a lot of machines are not what they used to be regardless of brand names.

If you really want, why not find another used 226R out there?