Professor

Cartridge loop template??

I've recently obtained a shoulder of 4-6 ounce leather to finish up my western gun belt project, the 4-6 will be the liner for the 7-8 ounce outer layer and serve for cartridge loop material.

The type of loop I want would require the strip to be woven in and out of slots cut in the outside layer with no stitching and each end held by a rivet.

Rather than the loop being pushed through a wide slot as some are I'm trying to duplicate the loops of a Mexican made rifle cartridge bandoleer I had forty years ago. the weaving in and out allowed me to draw the loops tighter for smaller diameter cartridges or sacrifice a loop or two to pull the straps through a bit to widen the loops to fit large diameter cartridges.

I could also adjust the strip to hold two different size cartridges.

Once the loops are finished the inner liner will cover the strip and the rivet ends. No rivet ends or stitching other than at the borders will be exposed in the inner surface.

Is there a template out there for this sort of loops?

Cartridges will be .38 -.45 diameter

Finally found what I needed. Couldn't find it with the board search function but found a link to an old thread on this board doing a Bing search.

@Professor Well. thank you for finding that and sharing it

I mainly needed the spacing measurements of the slots, which turned out to be very simple, just spaced 1/4" apart center to center.

I figure on using my smallest punch, a hand tool I use to add holes to watch bands, at each end of where I'll cut the slot, then use a wide flat tipped exacto blade to finish the cuts. Ill try a few practice cuts using scrap leather . I'll try a simple single cut between the end holes, then try it with two cuts per slot spaced to match the width of the holes. I'll also try variations on the width of the slots.. I want to be able to pull the strip through with some effort to adjust for several different cartridge case diameters if necessary. I'll be using the same belt for .38 -.44 Mag- .45 and the pellet cartrirdges for my Umarex Peacemaker CO2 revolver.

I can also use the loops for centerfire rifle cartridges such as the .25-20 . I lucked onto a excellent condition Savage 23B in that caliber awhile back. The cartridges are similar in dimensions to the .32-20 so they should go well on a pistol cartridge belt. In a pinch my .303 cartridges will fit as well though at 3 inch OAL these are a bit long for this width of belt.

I won't do any carving on this belt, but intend to do another using this one as a pattern and will add some nice carving to it. The second belt will be optimized for my old model Ruger Single Six, so it will have loops specifically sized for the .22 WMRF..

Let me throw a different idea your way for multiple sizes of loops on the same belt.  I am about to start my prototype gun belt for guys with more than one gun they like to carry.  On the left side for the loops I am going to put a set of Pull the Dot snaps on.  Then I am going to make individual sets of either 6 or 12 loops in the different calibers I carry that can be snapped on depending on which gun I am carrying.

Little different idea for the same purpose.

Todd

10 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

Let me throw a different idea your way for multiple sizes of loops on the same belt.  I am about to start my prototype gun belt for guys with more than one gun they like to carry.  On the left side for the loops I am going to put a set of Pull the Dot snaps on.  Then I am going to make individual sets of either 6 or 12 loops in the different calibers I carry that can be snapped on depending on which gun I am carrying.

Little different idea for the same purpose.

Todd

I'd considered that approach but since the belt will be a western style it really needs more conventional loops . A separate slide on carrier for longer rifle cartridges or a pouch for smaller rimfire cartridges can be used as an add on.

I may make a western style holster for my .36 1851 Colt replica while I'm at it but I already have a shoulder holster for it so its not a priority. No cartridges are used for the C&B revolvers but I have a bag full of  capped plastic tubes that I use to carry measured charges and balls ready for loading. These are about the length and  diameter of a .45 cartridge case.

There are endless possibilities, but I'll be lucky to get the first two belts finished as it is.

I saw a You Tube video from Weaver Leather craft the Other Day that talked about making Cartridge loops.

the Title is :  The Leather Element: Bullet Loops

The link: