Spyros

Hello from Melbourne, Australia

22 hours ago, Spyros said:

My pleasure.

Remember I said if I was going to make another I would make it longer?  Well guess what, I completely forgot LOL

I actually made it from the patterns I made for you, with minor changes.  And now I'm stuck with two identical ponies.  Dumb :rolleyes:

But, come to think of it, this is probably the ideal size anyway.  Light, portable, tiny when you fold it it fits everywhere, and when i have something big to stitch i just tilt it a little.  this is how I did that tote for example.

IMG_20200517_190111-X4.jpg

Wow that's a big piece that it is holding to stitch.  

For the last part, you need to drill a hole big enough for your bolt right there where at the end of the spring

IMG_20200527_224637-X4.jpg

and mount your star knob from the other side

IMG_20200527_224642-X4.jpg

So that when you turn the knob it pushes the right "wing" in, and when you unscrew it the spring pushes the wing out.

On this side stupid me used a bolt instead of a coach bolt, so now I have to either sink it in the wood so it doesn't turn, or go and buy a coach bolt (which sinks itself in once and for all and never turns again).  Don't be like me, buy a coach bolt.

IMG_20200527_224646-X4.jpg

Obviously you need to drill through the wing and put a piece of metal rod through so that it can pivot on part B.  And the other wing needs to be glued and screwed in position (or even just glued would be fine).  But I'm not going to do those thingsd for you guys, because I'm actually not sure what I want to do with this pony.  I already have an identical one, so I might just use the remaining plywood to build longer wings and mount those on instead.  Or just finish it and gift it to somebody, or sell it.  I don't know, I'll think on it for a few days.

Wow Thank you so much.   I loved the router tip video.      Forgot to ask, do I need to print your sketch's on A4 paper?

Edited by Scoutmom103
Not enough coffee yet this morning.

6 minutes ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Wow Thank you so much.   I loved the router tip video.      Forgot to ask, do I need to print your sketch's on A4 paper?

Yeah, I made them in A4 so printing in A4 makes sense.  I'm not sure what exactly is the process to print 1:1, I think it depends on your printer settings etc.  Can't help you there.   Just make sure the dimension in green is correct on the printed paper, but I'm not sure how to achieve that, I'm terrible with printers.

Worst case scenario you might end up with a giant or a miniature stitching pony   :spoton:

Alright now that I'm having a play with the finished product I can see I need to make a small change, because i did the slot instead of the t-track and now it doesn't pivot exactly the same way as the other one.   

Specifically when I mount it on the table, if I want to tilt it down towards the floor it only tilts about 30 degrees.  If you're happy with that, make no change.  If you want it to tilt all the way down until it's parallel to the floor, you need to trim Part A a little bit where I've marked yellow below.  Shave about 5-6mm off should do the trick.

image.thumb.png.649f03d713753a382e0873c26c60a341.png

Edited by Spyros

Hey @Spyros I love your work. I have been wondering how where this clamp swivels it stays tight and in place over time. I have worked on a little similar swivelling job in wood awhile back and found that by cutting out a washer from some rough sandpaper it worked to stop any unwanted rotation. This was done on a fence for one of my sanding machines. I often use it up and often out of the way as well. See the picture below. You can just see the sandpaper to the right of the spanner and above.

1.JPG

As you see sometimes it gets a fair bit of force exerted on the pivot point.

8.JPG

Mostly it gets used in this method below

7.JPG

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Hey @Spyros I love your work. I have been wondering how where this clamp swivels it stays tight and in place over time. I have worked on a little similar swivelling job in wood awhile back and found that by cutting out a washer from some rough sandpaper it worked to stop any unwanted rotation. This was done on a fence for one of my sanding machines. I often use it up and often out of the way as well. See the picture below. You can just see the sandpaper to the right of the spanner and above.

Hi Rocky

Great to see that big dust extraction hose and shroud you got there, you really don't want to be breathing that dust. 

There are a few ways to deal with swivel/clamping problem like yours, and probably the easiest is to keep the swivel and clamp functions separate.  Basically have one hole with an unthreaded bolt or rod that your moving part can pivot on, and then have a slot a bit further up for your clamping bolt.  Sort of like this

Capture.thumb.JPG.d8af3e1c7492bf1b0d3d2d8dcffe9eb1.JPG

That way the pivot bolt lifts all the weight of your hands etc, and all the other bolt has to do is clamp.   The higher up you make the slot, the finer the adjustments you can dial in.

Add a big washer behind the star nut and it should be ok.  

If that doesnt work then you probably need more support, so basically try to rebuild the jig so that the pivot point is a bit more to the right under where your hands will be.  

But before doing all that, maybe just try a bigger bolt and rubber washer, might be all you need.   I'd order a star nut from ebay to make tightening and adjusting a bit faster, or if you can't be bothered next time you're at Bunnings just grab a big wing nut 

65f3c9e6-50b5-4b9b-b514-0ce13dd5fa89.jpg 

Edited by Spyros

Thanks for that Spryos. I had a large wing nut where the spanner is before but I keep snapping them. The sandpaper I use between the wood works well and I was only thinking that it might be of help with the swivel on yours if it were needed. I have an adjustable screw at the bench to set the distance from guide/fence from the sandpaper. I can not use the star nut idea to clamp it as I also have top be able to swing it right down and back out of the way sometimes for sanding. The sandpaper is glued to one side and when the bolt is tightened the extra friction stops it revolving. This picture shows the fence fully down -

DSC00920_resize.JPG

Oh yeah, absolutely it would work on mine as well!  A big rubber washer would too, if needed.