Otzi

Fish Leather Have You Tanned It Or Used It?

Curious if anybody here has tanned fish leather and or used it in end products. I will be experimenting more with tanning it in the next couple of weeks. I have done a couple of tests and they turned out ok, they were done similar to how russia leather was done, inner birch bark for tanning liquor, then oiled with birch tar oil. The skins are incredibly tough. Must keep them fairly cool while tanning or you end-up with a foul soup!

Do you do fish leather or have? If so can you share some of your process?

Edited by Otzi

I get my fish leather from https://www.sealeatherwear.com/,  i'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions and they are a Canadian company.

I've used salmon leather before. The stuff I have is quite thin so needs backing with something more substantial. The pieces were also fairly small so needed to be panelled together to make a wallet or anything larger. I guess that both of these factors vary hugely depending on the size of the salmon that the tanner started with.

Practicalities aside it looks and feels really interesting and draws a lot of positive reactions from people.

Bought mine in Iceland, usually use it as an insert for colour and texture.

Excellent, thank you for the link, much appreciated!