Eccho

Edge treatment for oil cured leather

I bought some 2x2 pieces of various oil cures. I am used to working with veg tan. Any ideas on how to get an attractive edge on a piece?  I can't burnish it ....or so it seems. I've tried edge sealants.....like gum trag'....It just soaks it up and looks for more. I tried sanding it....down to 280 grit......still pretty rough! I love the finished look of the oil cured....but I hate the rough edges.....any tips greatly appreciated!

Tokonole seems to help but I have never found a good solution to the edges on any chrome ranked leather!

I think that most so-called "oil tanned" leathers tend to actually be heavily oiled chrome or combination tanned leathers, but with a heavy oiling. These don't tend to respond to burnishing, as they don't get affected by water in the same way that veg tannages do. I've had some success doing a sort-of-burnish-sort-of-seal on some chrome tan leathers using diluted PVA and a very fast (3000RPM) burnishing wheel but it's not something I think you can do by hand, nor with the weaker sealing properties of gum trag.

Alternatively your options are to paint the edges, bind them, fold them, or just leave them as cut.