Hi guys, I need some information from one of you serious experts who have been using Hermann Oak  leather and Fiebings Dye for longer than I have. Recently over the course of the last couple of weeks I have gotten four hides of H.O.  leather, in various thicknesses. I’m using a fiebings Turquoise alcohol die, and it seems to work on every leather except the Herman Oak. It does not come out even slightly bluish, it comes out brownish green. Nothing even close to the color it should. Or the color it has come out in many hides past.  The leather on the left is Herman Oak, the leather on the right is some Weaver Select.  Someone please tell me why, before I go broke buying Leather I can’t use.  

05AD7B24-6940-484A-B901-6808D51E7391.jpeg.49222fc457b3a6d6d371aaa7a4a706af.jpeg

From my experience no two hides will ever dye the same, and a lot of times you will get variations in the same hide.  The H.O. leather you show is russet colored and the Weaver is much lighter. The dye will never come out the same on a different tannage. If the parts must match you should make them all out of the same hide or at least the same tannage.  I do a dye test on every hide on every project to make sure, and sometimes it still turns to shit. A thinned down acrylic paint can be your best bet sometimes.

Edited by buzzardbait
more info

Thanks for the input.  I was using HO exclusively and was not having any problem with it until recently.   I always use same leather on all projects.  Although  the weaver select was lighter, i’ve never had this much disparity before.  I guess I’ll just try and only use darker colors with the HO and use the import hides for the lighter colors.  Thanks again.