Sign in to follow this  
Frodo

Neat project

Here is a neat project for anyone who wants to do it.

Coasters  for your table

You will need epoxy for countertops

and pvc pipe,  the epoxy does not stick to pvc

you can use anything you want, flowers, butter flys.  your baby brother,  

coasters.png

Edited by Frodo

finally something to do with all those pesky primers lol.

Ι mean you guys are in America, elsewhere it's kinda hard to find bullets LOL

But yeah it's a cool project, coins work great, buttons, beer caps etc

And you can color your epoxy too.

Problem is the bubbles (if you want a perfect result), epoxy is notorious for forming bubbles and they're pretty much impossible to get rid of. 

The guy who made the coasters in the photo obviously has a pressure pot, which are not cheap.  Or you can you convert an air pressure paint tank which is about $100.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, Spyros said:

Ι mean you guys are in America, elsewhere it's kinda hard to find bullets LOL

But yeah it's a cool project, coins work great, buttons, beer caps etc

And you can color your epoxy too.

Problem is the bubbles (if you want a perfect result), epoxy is notorious for forming bubbles and they're pretty much impossible to get rid of. 

The guy who made the coasters in the photo obviously has a pressure pot, which are not cheap.  Or you can you convert an air pressure paint tank which is about $100.

no pressure pot. he used a wisk thing for eggs in a drill..

i Spent cartridges go for $20.-- per hundred around here. sometime less

look online for extreme epoxy for counter tops  that is who i bought mine from.  

NOPE...new kind of epoxy. no bubbles if the directions are followed..look on line for extreme

Here is 65 sq feet of counter top I did with out bubbles

i mixed the epoxy, poured it, then used a hand held map gas torch to wave over the epoxy that rid it of bubbles IMMEDIATELY 

20200516_114332.jpg

20200517_111450.jpg

20200519_184622.jpg

if you need help i will happily help out over the phone or by pm  I would consider it an honor to talk on the phone

Edited by Frodo

5 hours ago, Frodo said:

no pressure pot. he used a wisk thing for eggs in a drill..

i Spent cartridges go for $20.-- per hundred around here. sometime less

look online for extreme epoxy for counter tops  that is who i bought mine from.  

NOPE...new kind of epoxy. no bubbles if the directions are followed..look on line for extreme

Here is 65 sq feet of counter top I did with out bubbles

i mixed the epoxy, poured it, then used a hand held map gas torch to wave over the epoxy that rid it of bubbles IMMEDIATELY 

20200516_114332.jpg

20200517_111450.jpg

20200519_184622.jpg

if you need help i will happily help out over the phone or by pm  I would consider it an honor to talk on the phone

Nice work is that concrete countertop?

no,  that is poured epoxy.  with white and black dye i put in it then swirled it around 

cabinets got painted to match nd new floor  looks different 

Geez that countertop is really impressive, well done!

I'v made a lot of projects with epoxy and I'm avoiding torches like the plague ever since this happened to a little inlay pencil box I was making for my daughter:

20181229_095215-XL.jpg

20181229_160251-XL.jpg

20181229_191800-XL.jpg

20181229_194217-XL.jpg

Basically the red jarrah burl had lots of holes in it so I had to cover the whole thing with epoxy to get a nice smooth finish for the box lid.  But there was obviously trapped air under the dog inlay which started coming out in bubbles as soon as I covered it with epoxy so I had to use a torch to get rid of them... but they were a little deep in the epoxy and apparently I held the torch for a couple of seconds too long and the epoxy started drying.  The whole piece was a write off, I had to do it again.

A thin layer of epoxy, especially colored, is a little easier in that sense because you only have to get rid of the surface bubbles, so I'm sure a light pass with a gas torch worked great for your counter top.

But with deep & clear epoxy (like those coasters with the bullet casings) you can see all the way through, so any bubble deep in the epoxy will show.  Especially with objects cast in it there's always nooks and crannies for the air bubbles.  Really only the pressure chamber works for that kind of thing.

Having said that, if it's a project for me I wouldn't worry about a couple of bubbles.  But if it's a gift or to sell then it might be a problem.

Edited by Spyros

11 hours ago, Frodo said:

no,  that is poured epoxy.  with white and black dye i put in it then swirled it around 

cabinets got painted to match nd new floor  looks different 

great job! 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:07 PM, Spyros said:

Geez that countertop is really impressive, well done!

I'v made a lot of projects with epoxy and I'm avoiding torches like the plague ever since this happened to a little inlay pencil box I was making for my daughter:

20181229_095215-XL.jpg

20181229_160251-XL.jpg

20181229_191800-XL.jpg

20181229_194217-XL.jpg

Basically the red jarrah burl had lots of holes in it so I had to cover the whole thing with epoxy to get a nice smooth finish for the box lid.  But there was obviously trapped air under the dog inlay which started coming out in bubbles as soon as I covered it with epoxy so I had to use a torch to get rid of them... but they were a little deep in the epoxy and apparently I held the torch for a couple of seconds too long and the epoxy started drying.  The whole piece was a write off, I had to do it again.

A thin layer of epoxy, especially colored, is a little easier in that sense because you only have to get rid of the surface bubbles, so I'm sure a light pass with a gas torch worked great for your counter top.

But with deep & clear epoxy (like those coasters with the bullet casings) you can see all the way through, so any bubble deep in the epoxy will show.  Especially with objects cast in it there's always nooks and crannies for the air bubbles.  Really only the pressure chamber works for that kind of thing.

Having said that, if it's a project for me I wouldn't worry about a couple of bubbles.  But if it's a gift or to sell then it might be a problem.

a lot has to do with the epoxy.  and the way it is applied. 

first, always pour in 2 coats. the first base coat is very thin and that is where you get rid of the bubbles that are itrapped in the wood.

after the first coat you can then pour with out worry of bubbles if the epoxy it mixed correctly.

on my counter top. see the wood counter top. that is 1/2' think  no bubbles in a 7' x 3' pour  clear pour. no color

using 2 coats.  

did you make another doggy for your little girl?   that idea is sweet,  i know she was tickled 

20200516_114332.jpg

yeah I ended up finishing it, I had no option, I didn't keep my mouth shut and she already knew I was making it LOL

I don't have a final-final photo but this is it before final alignments, sanding and hardware

20190101_221836-XL.jpg

You are right of course about pouring the epoxy in 2- 3 coats, I'm just not patient enough for that :)