Alaisiagae

Dyeing veg tan - leather becomes stiff

When I dye the leather - particularly if I dye both the grain and flesh sides - it dries such that the leather becomes rather stiff. This worked great for a valet tray I made, it's shape is rock solid. But for a coin pouch, I want that to remain somewhat flexible and not stiff. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to wait for the leather to dry completely after I've tooled it? After I dye and before I apply the finish? Do I need to flex the leather as its drying from the dye? Is this just a normal thing veg tan does?

I'm using the Eco-Flo Dye, and I also have a few of the Eco-Flo Waterstains, too (I usually use those on the flesh side). For a finish, I use Super Shene (acrylic-based) or Neatlac. 

Both the water and the dye are removing the natural oils. 

To soften the leather again put on a little pure neatsfoot oil. On this site most of us advise to use pure nfo and not nfo compound as the compound has petroleum distillates in it which may be detrimental to the leather

Don't put too much nfo on. I use a mix of beeswax, carnauba wax and nfo. I apply that, rub it in and buff it. One coat is usually enough to bring the leather back

Thanks, Fred, I'll have to try that. I don't have any pure neatsfoot on hand - would mink oil work by any chance? It's kind of more of a paste than an oil, but it sure helped my hiking boots (which I abused as gardening/landscaping shoes). I also have Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator (bought it to keep the skin side of a woodchuck pelt from getting too dry). 

Is there a brand of pure nfo that you'd recommend?

3 hours ago, Alaisiagae said:

Thanks, Fred, I'll have to try that. I don't have any pure neatsfoot on hand - would mink oil work by any chance? It's kind of more of a paste than an oil, but it sure helped my hiking boots (which I abused as gardening/landscaping shoes). I also have Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator (bought it to keep the skin side of a woodchuck pelt from getting too dry). 

vegetable oil , olive oil is also acceptable

5 hours ago, Alaisiagae said:

Mink oil is good. I've only ever had it tins of cream as well, never seen it as 'oil'

No make of nfo I can recommend as what I can get in my country you may not be able to get in yours (actually, I think my last batch is from Tandy)

Whilst vegetable oil and olive oil are good enough I've found veg oil can go 'off' after a while making the leather smell whiffy, and the leather is in constant need of more olive oil, it just seems to dry out of the leather.

I use olive oil without any problems. I can buy a gallon of it for about $14 and use it for both leather and frying on the griddle. I started using it after discovering that Don Gonzales uses it. https://dgsaddlery.com/what-kind-of-oil-should-i-use/

If you decide to use neatsfoot oil, check at your local feed store as it is used on horses. Ours sells it for far less than the leather stores or Amazon.

When I dye leather on one or both sides it does go stiffer

I carry on and make up the item - usually a belt or a knife sheath - them apply my mixture, which is simply ordinary  general purpose leather grease in the flat cans typically intended for hiking boots and similar items

I scrape it out into an old jam jar and thin it about 75% grease and 25% white spirit, which is, I think, the British name for mineral thinners. Apply  it with an old toothbrush so it soaks in and knead it with your hands & fingers. Then let it dry out for a couple of days and buff off

I've been doing that for years and never had any complaints

I've tried doing the same with mink oil but it doesn't seem to dissolve as well into the white spirit